Downgrade to nvidia 495

By elimination. What else could it be? Steam beta issue?

You can’t just guess that something is an issue, you need to find some sort of evidence.

Look at the "PSA: Linux 5.16 has major regression in btrfs causing extreme IO load" and see if your disk IO is showing the same symptoms. If not then it’s not BTRFS in the 5.16.0-4 kernels creating an issue.

1 Like

I’m not quite sure whats the process exactly to check if is an BTRFS issue, but this does seem to be the culprit? I guess? There’s absurd high disk usage for no reason.

Did you read the other thread? I don’t really want to have to copy-paste something that’s already explained in detail in another post.

1 Like

From what I got over 155 messages is to check sudo iotop -a, and thats what I did. And it seems its a BTRFS problem.

And what does it tell you? That a BTRFS background process wrote 15MB to disk in the same time period that Firefox wrote 65MB? Is this the “multiple gigabytes per second” that would indicate a problem?

No, it’s not a BTRFS problem - or at least it’s not the same problem as was present in kernels 5.16.0 to 5.16.4.

So, let’s check if the disk itself has in issue.

Install smartmontools and run smartctl -a /dev/sd* where /dev/sd* is the device path for your disk, and paste the output (as text, formatted as preformatted text).

1 Like

And what does it tell you? That a BTRFS background process wrote 15MB to disk in the same time period that Firefox wrote 65MB? Is this the “multiple gigabytes per second” that would indicate a problem?

I don’t have the BTRFS issue, rather something is making the same behaviour then?

Opted out of steam beta and that seems to have fixed the issue somehow?

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.