Do I need EFI to setup BTRS?

If I want to dual boot with XFCE and KDE using BTRFS do I need to install using EFI?

No, works well with either UEFI or the older legacy method.

But in Legacy mode it will use more than 4 partitions, I thought that was the max?

They are not partitions, they are sub volumes.

Please note that the “regular” os-prober will not detect other systems installed with btrfs on your disk(s). That means you would not get a boot entry for the other system on the Grub boot menu.

If your system supports UEFI, then why go for mbr/legacy install?

Legacy mode is easier to setup. But It troubles me If I can’t select KDE or XFCE in the grub menu

I think the opposite :upside_down_face:

You need the os-prober patched by Manjaro. That is what I use in my multi-boot system where all the systems are installed with btrfs. But mine are all in UEFI as well. Please see:

If you have one of the four primary partitions set up as an extended partition you can have many logical partitions inside of the extended partition which all could carry a bootable Linux system.

@Alexander
Why do you want to use legacy Bios over UEFI?

Ease of setup

If you use the wiki that @2000 posted it is very easy. You can do encrypted or unencrypted installation.

Do you have a link?

It’s here on the wiki; This is for Encrypted installation of BTRFSonLUKS with timeshift and snapshots. There are two versions. One is a quick copy & paste and the other is the verbose mode. (Manual Install)
You can also install it without encryption.

https://endeavouros.com/wiki/

Here are the changes if you want to do unencrypted method.

It’s different nowadays with modern computers and better implementations, but UEFI was a major PITA in the past. I used legacy mode exclusively until 2019.
Still not a fan of UEFI, as it doesn’t give me any real advantage on my setups.

When in the past are we talking? 2005-2007

Edit: I like UEFI better now.

I can’t tell you an exact year, but my misadventures were around 2012 or so.
But I don’t have any trouble with it anymore on recent hardware, and yes, on new-ish hardware EFI is usually a better choice.
Still, I think Legacy is still a valid option, it should IMO not be disregarded.

I think Bios will be around for some time but it does have some limitations hence why UEFI was implemented. I still think some manufacturers do not do a good job implementing UEFI and standards are not always adhered to as with anything. A lot of these companies want to implement proprietary versions so others can’t use it and it’s all about $. I like the fact that there are some such as system76 who are working on open source hardware and core boot.

That was actually the reason why I used Legacy. The implementation was simply bad (problems with sound, longer boot time).

Anyways, OP’s question has already been answered, sorry for semi-offtopic :slight_smile:

Are the advantages of using UEFI big enough for me to reinstall?

I would go UEFI if you have it as opposed to Bios.