Distrohoppers come here

Along with EOS, I am currently testing a Debian Sid on a day-to-day machine. Sid’s point is that he’s never ready. Can we say that the distros based on the rolling release model are never ready? After all, the development-testing-release cycle time is very short.

Logical, unstable (called sid) is a branch of development. Sid is the neighbour boy from “Toy Story” who always destroys everything.

sid is therefore not an RRD in the sense like Arch.

I use siduction (a play on words from sid and seduction, a fork from the now asleep aptosid, the successor of sidux - I already had them all installed). This is sid with its own kernel (currently 5.4.2-towo.1-siduction-amd64) and few additions like kernel-remover.

siduction is its own distribution (Timetable: From sidux to siduction). But of course it has the same weaknesses as sid, i.e. every update, especially every transition, can damage the system. So you should be able to think along and repair it if necessary.

If this is too much “built on sand” for you, you could try debian testing, the precursor of (boring) stable.

1 Like

If you want to conjure siduction from sid, you just add the additional repositories, update them and install the desired one.

But there’s a drop of bitterness. The main developer can and knows a lot, but thinks he can and knows everything better than anyone else. So as long as you agree with him, you’re a good friend…

Thank you, I checked. Is this a German-language distro, anyway?

You could say that. But there are also non-Germans active, e.g. in the USA. In the forum English might be spoken mostly. There are German and English IRC channels (a link is on the desktop if you have started or installed an original image), often it is mixed. If one can only speak English, English is spoken.

But I don’t want to advertise just because you asked.

(I’ve been planning to replace this siduction installation with antergos/endeavouros for a long time. But unfortunately I can always solve problems. :grin:)