Display disconnects just before login screen

Alright, I’ll give it a shot.

One thing I remembered was that I had recently been swapping the display back and forth between my Pi 4 and my desktop. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. The display works fine with the Pi.

Also, I found this Reddit post from 3 weeks ago today, and they seem to be having a similar issue.

You could also connect your pi, install arandr. And follow this tutorial to create a xrandr script which you can copy to your computer via USB stick then call upon in i3wm config if that’s the problem.

See display setup with arandr here.

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/installation/i3-wm/2021/03/

Edit: also wondering since it blanks out before the login screen if there is something going on with the display manager. To try to fix/install drivers or perhaps try reinstalling your display manager you would need to tty or else chroot using the live usb. This we can guide you with but I need some help from other forum users to guide you through troubleshoot.

Just tried to run xrandr via ssh with the display showing the raspberry pi GUI in front of me. I see what you mean now. Even logged into the same user, it doesn’t recognize an ssh session as having access to the display. Seems kind of odd though.

@Zircon34 here is the output:
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1680 x 1050, maximum 7680 x 7680 HDMI-1 connected primary 1680x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm 1680x1050 60.00* HDMI-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

:man_shrugging: I don’t even understand what you’re trying to do?

Ok. So number one we now know the screen name and resolutions.and that it works to respond @ricklinux. I was just confused all the way because we didn’t know which monitor is working, which one is broken and what’s the output of xrandr for both of them…

Now can you connect your computer first to the monitor that is working so you can modify your i3 config.

cd ~/.config/i3
nano config

At the bottom of the file try adding

exec_always  xrandr --output HDMI-1 --auto 

Then hit keyboard

$mod+shift+r

restart i3 in place. Then connect to your other trouble monitor. See if it recognizes that monitor. If it doesn’t then something else got messed up in your install or update. Or graphics driver is problematic.

Don’t know why we talk about ssh at this point. The goal is to physically connect the pi to your monitor that is supposedly not working with eos and get the xrandr info. So at least we know which one it is and that it works. Friday evening, my brain not working.

Script added to i3 config. Should I shutdown the computer before connecting to the other monitor, or while it’s running?

Why not, try it out. Shut down.

I tried it while still running, and we have a connection! Rebooting now to make sure it persists

Nope it disconnected at the same point again

1 Like

Edit: since you mention it, you could also try reinstalling the bashrc file, in case something got messed up there.

Ok. Weird. Did you make any changes in the grub config or others? Did you try booting with lts and/current kernel.

Perhaps try again booting with the other screen, then reconnect to that monitor so you can check if it works once logged in and it’s really a boot thing going on.

Edit: I am thinking it could have something to do with your xorg setting

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/xorg#Configuration

I am wondering if this part could help in this case

Manual configuration
Note:
Newer versions of Xorg are auto-configuring, so manual configuration should not be needed.
If Xorg is unable to detect any monitor or to avoid auto-configuring, a configuration file can be used. 

A common case where this is necessary is a headless system, which boots without a monitor and starts Xorg automatically, either from a virtual console at login, or from a display manager.
For a headless configuration, the xf86-video-dummy driver is necessary; install it and create a configuration file, such as the following:

Then create that config file as linked in the arch wiki. There I am a bit out of my depth. Perhaps @ricklinux or @dalto may know more about what to check or change.

That’s what I just did.

The only thing I was editing when this happened was my bashrc.

Honestly, at this point this monitor may just be something I troubleshoot when I have the time to tinker with it. This is starting to be a bit time consuming. The other monitor works fine. I had hoped to use them both, both it’s not a necessity .

Thank you both for your help. I really do appreciate it .

Just saw your edit. I’ll look into that tomorrow afternoon. I have a performance test for my apprenticeship tomorrow so I need to go get some sleep. Y’all have a good night.

Please try not to use language that can be considered obscene. If you could edit your post would be appreciated.

https://forum.endeavouros.com/faq

3 Likes

I apologize. Most places I congregate online don’t have a no cursing rule so I hadn’t even considered it. I edited the post.

2 Likes