Discussion about packages in the EndeavourOS Repository vs. AUR e.t.c

@Bryanpwo @joekamprad
OK, sorry for being such a pain in the a… Good move turning this into its own topic; didn’t mean to hijack the old thread. But my vacation is over anyway so I won’t be posting at this rate from now on, now that I’m back in the real world. :wink: So please bear with me.

I can’t imagine the stress and workload you guys are managing at this early stage in the project. I’m amazed and appreciate that you even take the time to comment on this forum as much as you do. The time frame in which you got all this done is exceptional, so I’m not proposing you do more work even faster. However …

In my experience it’s exactly in these early project stages where corners are cut, shortcuts are taken and bad habits tend to arise. Now, I’m explicitly not stating that this is the case with you guys but I do believe every project profits from Advocati Diaboli questioning motives, plans and overall approach.

I genuinely thought the idea of EndeavourOS was to provide an easy install with a choice of nicely themed DE’s (later on). Set up some important stuff to get the system running and otherwise stay as close to pure arch as possible.
Now, I think having software in an EOS repo only is diametrically opposed to this.

Stuff like a special grub-theme, keyring, mirrorlist etc. belong in an EOS repo.
Applications like kalu, downgrade, yay etc. have an AUR entry also and will be accessible through AUR even if the EOS repos would happen to go down.
But nvidia-installer and reflector-auto for example are EOS repo only.

Nice to hear that you are planing on rectifying this in the future. I’m really not pressuring you to do this right away, btw. I understand the need for testing or merely not having fully decided if or how to use certain applications etc. So there will always be some EOS only software that hasn’t found its way into the AUR, yet.

I question the prohibitive “lot of work” aspect though: You already have your own repo, you have a github account where the sources reside, you have PKGBUILD’s, you’re distributing so you’ve got the licensing checked.
All you need now is an AUR account and to provide these PKGBUILD files. So you’ve actually already gone about at least 90 percent of the way.

Until then, I propose that in the future you explicitly add the information that certain software is EOS-repo specific to Wiki tutorials like “Automatic Rank the Mirrorlist”. Having some tutorials that work for other arch based distributions and some tutorials that don’t is confusing.

At least for me. I genuinely didn’t reckon with this; that’s why I assumed the Wiki tutorial lacked some information when a user posted his problem installing through pacman in Reflector-auto is not found by pacman.

1 Like