Directions for Custom Endeavour ISO running KDE

I would put it in the section # TEMPORARY CUSTOM FIXES

1 Like

Ok, it worked. Now the only thing I am trying to figure out is how to inject my .config files into the disk. I thought items in the skel folder would be in the liveuser home folder but I seem to be wrong. I assume it needs to be in the run_before_squash script but I am not sure how to execute it.

You can lay files into the airrootfs directory and they will go into the ISO.

Ok, I’ll try again. Might have put them in the wrong spot the first time before the mesa glitch. It seemed to just overwrite the files after the script ran.

3rd time maybe?

That worked. Thanks everyone for the help.

1 Like

Ok, how exactly do you add AUR packages to the image? I tried to figure it out using the Wiki and tried a few times but no luck.

I am trying to add Timeshift to the disk so that I don’t have to boot up with Linux Mint or install snapper after booting the EOS livecd every time I have to restore a snapshot on my debian server. It is also useful to have on my image for some of my clients that want to venture out from Mint and into arch.

You would build the package, include it in a repository (either online or local), add the repository to your pacman.conf, and add the package to the list of packages-x86_64 file used to build the iso.

1 Like

I guess this should work as well:

To install locally builded packages on ISO put the packages inside directory:

airootfs/root/packages

Packages will get installed and directory will be cleaned up after that.

:eye: https://github.com/endeavouros-team/EndeavourOS-ISO#advanced

3 Likes

Or, take the easy way out… :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

:100:

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I am still trying to figure out how to build packages. I guess I use the AUR to much. All I know is on Ubuntu I used to use the make and make install commands, but that doesn’t work with the package I downloaded for Timeshift.

You could start here: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/timeshift-bin

Pay attention to any dependencies and that you have all dependencies built or available from the Arch repos if they exist there, and use makepkg to build the package(s).

1 Like

To build Timeshift:

git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/timeshift.git
cd timeshift
makepkg -s

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Makepkg

1 Like

Oh, I was doing it wrong. I was downloading the zip and trying to do it from there. Lots to learn here. Thanks!

1 Like

That will install needed dependencies on the system used to build the package, but won’t they still need to ensure those dependencies are installed in the ISO? At least any dependencies only available from the AUR will need to be built as well? There might be no dependencies from outside the Arch repos, so this would suffice?

1 Like

Looking at the PKGBUILD:

depends=('cronie' 'gtk3' 'libgee' 'libnotify' 'libsoup' 'rsync' 'vte3' 'which'
         'xapp' 'xorg-xhost')
makedepends=('git' 'vala')

It seems, at least for this specific package, that all the packages in depends= are to be found in Arch’s repo so they need to be included in the ISO as well as you said.

I guess things will get more complicated for packages that depends on other packages from AUR and their dependencies …

In this case, your suggestion on setting up a repo is perhaps the better way to do it.

Well, let’s try your way first and see if that works. If not, I guess I will learn how to set up a repo sooner than later. I have learned 100x more this year using Endeavour than I did using Debian for the last 20.

1 Like

Make sure you include those packages in depends= in the ISO as well.

Good luck!

:crossed_fingers:t5:

1 Like

A few notes:

• you can use yay -Ga "pkgname" to download package files from AUR
  • building with makepkg or yay may not work if run as root

Edit: fixed a tiny typo

2 Likes

Cool trick, I did not know that. I love yay. I use it all the time to find packages. Way better than the graphical ones in my opinion.

1 Like