Debug Network Issues - Random Disconnects

I have been using EOS as an OS for a year now. I love it and I will never switch back to Windows but I lack a lot of knowledge in Linux that I have on Windows when it comes to troubleshooting problems and fixing them.

Since a week (maybe longer) I’m experiencing random disconnects from the Internet. I see those disconnects for example:

• On YouTube because it randomly says “It seems you are not connected to the internet. Reconnect?”
  • When I browse with my browser I sometimes get “Network Change Detected” instead of that the website opens
  • When I download a file I get the error " Failed - Network Disconnected"

Has someone an idea what could cause this or which log files I could look into that has some useful information? This issue is really annoying and the only other “fix” that I know would be to setup EOS from scratch… :frowning:

It could be power saving settings for your wifi chip. Maybe it’s powering off and disconnecting? Is it WiFi or Ethernet?

Edit: Like going to sleep

Edit2: What is the hardware? Post the output of

inxi -Na

Sorry I forgot to mention that I’m running on Ethernet not on Wi-Fi.

Here is the output:

Network:
  Device-1: Intel I210 Gigabit Network vendor: Gigabyte driver: igb v: kernel
    pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: 2000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
    chip-ID: 8086:1533 class-ID: 0200
  Device-2: Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel pcie:
    gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 04:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:24fd
    class-ID: 0280
  Device-3: Intel I210 Gigabit Network vendor: Gigabyte driver: igb
    v: kernel pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: 1000 bus-ID: 05:00.0
    chip-ID: 8086:1533 class-ID: 0200
  Device-4: Aquantia AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet [AQtion]
    vendor: Gigabyte driver: atlantic v: kernel pcie: gen: 2 speed: 5 GT/s
    lanes: 4 link-max: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s port: N/A bus-ID: 07:00.0
    chip-ID: 1d6a:d107 class-ID: 0200
  Device-5: Intel Bluetooth wireless interface type: USB driver: btusb
    bus-ID: 1-9:3 chip-ID: 8087:0a2b class-ID: e001

I see you do have WiFi. Have you tried it on WiFi to see if you have the same problem?

Edit: I would suggest you check your Ethernet cable. If possible try a new Ethernet cable.

Thank you, I will check my ethernet cable.

Yes, my mainboard has Wi-Fi but I’m not using it and it is not enabled.

What I don’t really understand is that if I use some tools to check my connection over a longer period of time (ping via terminal, some bash script that constantly gets the google index.html or an online tool that constantly pings a service) I can never see my connection drop or that there are any issues. I also don’t have any problems watching live streams, play multiplayer games or taking part in Teams calls.

I only see the problem while downloading or browsing the web… really strange… I hate problems like this -.-

Changed the ethernet cable but that didn’t fix the issue. After some research I disabled IPv6 and the issues stopped. Sadly this is only a “work around” and I still don’t know what actually causes the issue. :frowning: