Debian stumbles, Endeavour benefits

I disabled all UEFI stuff in my computer and installed GRUB. I use a theme that’s both easier to read and nice to look at.

I would have went with systemd-boot if it at least allows to set the font size. I wandered into a github issue that asked for a nicer interface but the maintainer was like “it’s a boot loader, not a desktop UI”. I understand different projects have different priorities so decided it’s not for me.

:sweat_smile:
I want to say more about this, but I will keep it for myself since last time I did something similar, I came out looking like a fool here. So much for being friendly, huh?

3 Likes

Uhh… I guess because it is bloat, right?

1 Like

still using grub on my Endeavour OS install… :sparkling_heart: Will try systemd boot when I get a new computer later this year… Didn’t feel it was necessary to change the current working system…

Edit: After going through the other thread about the new 6.8 kernel, I really hope I don’t regret this :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

Well people have other opinions on topics, that’s pretty much life, one has to learn to give a fu**. Don’t take it personal and keep it true to yourself. :slight_smile:

Umm… Whatever.

1 Like

If one doesn’t care about external opinion, wouldn’t that make one arrogant? My issue also isn’t that others have a different opinion, it is the way many of them go about saying it, but perhaps I’m the one who doesn’t fully understand social interactions and the like, so I would rather not continue this talk. It’s clear it is above what I know and I don’t want to look like a fool, even though I’ve already shown that here.

1 Like

It’s been less than two weeks since your first post on the forum. I think it’s a bit too early for you to have an issue with people’s tone here, especially since none of that was directed towards you. These people have known each other for years, some banter is entirely acceptable. In fact, this is what makes the forum friendly.

6 Likes

I see. I apologize for the shit takes. I admit that I have trouble sometimes reading people’s intentions and others as a whole and honestly seeing the reaction of people on the posts in question makes me feel like an idiot.

3 Likes

I have trouble reading peoples intentions (and sometimes my own XD) too. It’s actually total normal, so you should not feel like an alien because of this. But its always good to apologize, especially in a place where you want “live” longer. Guess you finished the tutorial now. (I’m almost new as you, compared to all the others here.)

To be completely fair, an “RTFM” response doesn’t really allude to one’s lack of intelligence but rather one’s lack of initiative.

Or perhaps I have misread the situation entirely and your feelings of inadequacy didn’t arise from the RTFM comment? May I ask which comment in the above discussion made you think less of yourself. Because I couldn’t see it at all to tell you the truth.

Allow me to take it further!

honka_animated-128px-33

P.S. If it were up to me - it would be 100% free speech here…but not many people find it plausible :rofl:

4 Likes

Does that include ads for benis enlargemend bills :bear: ?

6 Likes

Oh yes…it includes MUCH worse things!

honka_memes-128px-39

P.S. Btw, do you want to enlarge your benis for free? :frog:

1 Like

When I see someone replying to a question with “RTFM”, I think to myself that the person replying to my question is saying “Why ask this dumb ass question when you could have read the manual?”, in a sense indirectly questioning my own abilities. This comment was a catalyst, though, for something else, which is my own reply to it, the comment where I posted a picture of it and saying some shit. The reactions to that comment are what made me feel even more like an idiot. If the RTFM comment was easy dismiss (in hindsight), the reactions and replies to the comment I made aren’t.

I guess in simpler terms, I read the RTFM comment, thought that if I was in the same position, I would feel like an idiot, I said actually idiotic shit and here we are.

2 Likes

Since none of us can see the Body Language of the other none of us can truly read intentions. The longer you are around you learn some basic behaviors of users.

Such as Mention Pamac and @Kresimir will explain why you shouldn’t use such meanwhile @keybreak will blow you up with clowns. These things take time to learn to spot and understand that there is no maliciousness to what they are doing. While reading things can seem to come off a bit stronger than intended.

Just remember communication isn’t just the sound its also the body language that goes with it. You need both in order to fully interpret what someone means.

5 Likes

honka_memes-128px-1honka_animated-128px-9honka_animated-128px-15

4 Likes

I understand.

I obviously can’t tell you how to interpret another person’s comment, but I can provide you with an alternative perspective. I’ll reiterate that it makes more sense to view an RTFM response as saying “you’re too lazy” rather than “you’re too stupid.”

Take a moment to consider why the commenter tells you to RTFM—because he or she is confident that you can find the answer you’re seeking in the manual. In a way, this is an affirmation of your intelligence, not an insult—because they believe that you’re fully capable of solving your own problem if you just refer to the manual. Hopefully that makes sense to you. After all, why would the commenter direct someone to the manual if they think the latter is dumb? Isn’t that kind of pointless?

7 Likes

Me too.

I currently have an HP laptop with UEFI on my desk. Installed are Debian and Linux Mint with GRUB and - yesterday freshly installed - EndeavourOS with systemd-boot. OS-Prober does not recognize the EOS installation in Mint with “update-grub”, nor does EOS want to integrate the GRUB installation of the other systems. Now I have to set up a shared start menu for the neighbors computer, I can’t see man crying. It will probably be a GRUB for EOS, he has already made a nice colorful one for his previous Mint installation. Then he can run a cheerful “sudo update-grub” in his Mint and everything will be back to normal. Never take away an artist’s creativity. I was allowed to learn that :sweat_smile:

Snapper integration will not be possible because Limine only supports FAT filesystems and they are never going to add support for other filesystems (including Btrfs or LUKS). The kernel and initramfs images must be stored on the EFI partition (the same as systemd-boot) so they cannot be captured in Btrfs snapshots.

It looks nice though, since you can add a wallpaper. :slightly_smiling_face: