Damn, the new Macbook Pro is a really nice laptop! Just needs a different OS

Could be a nice laptop hardware, but the price is not at all nice… :-1:

locked as in the SSD is actually inside the CPU die. absurd architecture and decision. laughable money grabing scheme.

I am pretty sure the soldered on components have soldered on components and then some more solder for good measure. Upgrade? Never, this is Apple, buy a new one! Over priced walled garden I was happy to escape from to GNU/Linux and being able to do what I want with my hardware.

I bet you it’s nice price too! :wink:

I care about Giraffes. :wink:

Edit: And Frogs! :grin:

1 Like

Tadpoles too, don’t forget the kids! :wink:

2 Likes

Pollywogs?

1 Like

Yep they’re the ones! :laughing:

I got a ThinkPad T480s with the works, 40 GB ram, I added a 1tb HD and a second 265GB NVME drive to the WWLAN slot . . . $980ish total bucks.

I’ll take 2.5 of those instead of a new base Macbook Pro anyday - and MOST of the laptop is still replacable.

2 Likes

That notch is hideous. Please don’t let this be a thing that catches on. :exploding_head:

2 Likes

if they want to beef up the camera and need a notch why not make it outside of the chassis, like a protuberance. It’s not a very big deal on laptops. it looks bad, but it does not interfere with the usage of the machine.

Something along these lines but with Apple design refinements.
sc-211020-123353

1 Like

It will. Believe me, it will.

1 Like

I feel like I want to buy one as a Macbook collector as a new toy impulse purchase.

Then I realise all I do is online banking, gmail and youtube personal use…:frowning: They make great Linux laptops and bit of tweaking still many hours battery life. However if they make it difficult in future models to install Linux then I am afraid my journey of collecting second hand old Macbooks will come to an end.

Work provides a Surface Laptop 4. What I hate most is that Outlook indexing is completely broken and have to use OWA for searching more accurately.

Or just leave a little thin rim panel like my Acer Swift laptop, hardly noticeable. I assume they are using some beefier camera that needs some major real estate, or some such nonsense. Maybe design a pop-up camera at the top that slides in-and-out behind the screen. Not like everyone uses their camera all the time anyway. Oh wait, the 5 eyes wouldn’t like that. :laughing: :male_detective:

:rofl: :rofl:

Not sure what is more funny the delivery lead time or the cost

2 Likes

You should definitly use this to clean your £949 monitor stand!

1 Like

Well, I got asahi linux booting on my Macbook Pro M1. Can’t get the magic mouse to work so some more investigation needed. Given that asahi installs something based on arch hopefully it can run EndeavourOS sooner rather than later

Asahi is esstially Arch Linux ARM, so you can add the EndeavourOS repos just like EndeavourOS ARM.

2 Likes