Cruft to be removed because of old install?

Greetings all!!! I was reading Grub Hook to grub-install and grub-mkconfig? - #61 by limotux with much interest–had not run across removing grub-tools before now & really liked the grub hook that was presented. Followed the recommendations there & set up the hook & removed grub-tools.

This leads me to a question…my install is several years old at this point–I do update frequently, but I am wondering what changes I have missed that should be made… Anyone know the critical running changes since late 2019? I “think” I’ve caught all the ones posted on the forums, but with the grub & grub-tools “issue”-----I find myself wondering…

Hi @ExDebianuser
I am really glad the topic was of interest.
I hope it helped you and help everybody to overcome the Grub update issues and get everything done automatically.
I take your words “ with much interest” as a reward for me for contributing something useful to this wonderful community

Without a doubt----anything that makes my install smoother/easier/safer is very interesting to me. I do “tend” to lurk on the forums—just wander out to post when things are of interest. Great topic & would recommend the hook result “should” be a pinned bit of information.

Thank you again. This is so nice of you.
As far as I understood from lots and lots of discussions in many threads there is no “standard” solution (I do not know why, I am not techie by any means especially when it comes to what came after DOS, dBase III and such)
I hope anyway at least the idea would help because this Grub issue was so painful (and complicated for me)

In the ideal world, you would know what each package does and remove manually those you don’t need.

pactree and pacman -Qi give you dependencies so you can find out what package is needed for what.

Of course, things are rarely that simple, and people just don’t bother. :slight_smile:

But if you still want to get your system similar to what you’d get by default if you installed now, to help you, there is this fairly new tool that just lists the packages on the latest EndeavourOS ISO called eos-packagelist.

You can install it with

sudo pacman -S eos-packagelist

Then, you can list all the profiles with:

eos-packagelist --list

And you can show packages for specific profiles, for example:

eos-packagelist "Desktop-Base + Common packages" "Firefox and language packages" "KDE-Desktop"

It’s a bit rough, you have to use quotation marks (because some of the profiles have spaces in them and the argument parsing is quite bad) and it doesn’t properly report errors. But still beats looking for package lists on github.

Thanks—I’ll take a look at it.