Create mdadm raid0 + luks encryption + btrfs and install endeavour os on it

Hi,

like the title says, i want to install endeavouros on a raid0 with encryption.

The reason why I want to set up a RAID 0 is because my motherboard only offers SATA II. However, with 2 SSDs in RAID0, the system should theoretically reach SATA III speeds, since a disk benchmark has shown that an SSD currently reaches about 250MB/s with SATA II.

I know how to create a mdadm RAID 0, but not how to create a “luks encryption disk” out of /dev/md0 and finaly, how to boot of it.

Could somebody help me with that?

Sry. My english isnt so good. Im nativ german. Most of the text is translated with deepl.com

Arch wiki is your friend.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system#LUKS_on_software_RAID

Calamares probably doesn’t support this, so you’ll likely have to install the Arch Way.

# cryptsetup -y -v luksFormat --type luks1 /dev/md/root
# cryptsetup open /dev/md/root cryptroot
# mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/cryptroot
# mount /dev/mapper/cryptroot /mnt

I still use luks1 for root partition luks containers, but luks2 should work with grub now.

Calamares probably dosnt support this?

I got a another idea wich maybe works(?): Start the endeavouros live cd, create a mdadm raid0, and then choose this disk in the installer and make a check into “encrypt system”?

Would this be possible?

i could imagine this way i would only have to adjust grub manually?

Calamares RAID discussion on github.

https://github.com/calamares/calamares/issues/987

Bottom line 4 weeks ago …

If you want to use Arch with mdadm raid you’ll have to install manually, using the Arch Wiki as your guide and reference.

Or use another distro, I think the Ubuntu installer supports RAID, not sure about Fedora.

So if i understand you right, you suggest to stop using endeavouros and using arch linux instead?

So i think than i should go to the arch linux forum to get support :slight_smile:

I suggest you don’t use a distro that installs using Calamares, which does not support raid OOTB.

As I said above …

If you want an Arch based system with raid support you’ll have to install it manually.

Do your research first then, the Arch forum won’t just feed you answers, they’ll likely point you to the Arch Wiki link I provided.

The EOS forum will still attempt the help you though, even if you have an Arch system.

Haha I know the arch forum and wiki. Unfortunately the longer Arch exists and evolves, the more complicated and cumbersome they make the wiki…

I remember about 15 years ago, when I visited the Arch Wiki for the installation guide, and on one page EVERYTHING was described. Download from CD, burn (or usb stick), start and install Arch. Including how to partition which hard drive, format it and why you do it that way. And then how to install Grub (or if necessary another loader) and after a reboot then remaining programs such as X, a desktop, etc…

And now? Now I actually managed to install Arch on a mdadm Raid 0, but without Luks.

Also only needed more than 5 reinstalls. And was allowed to have 7 tabs on a small smartphone display, and felt to switch to another tab every 30 seconds because they shredded the wiki so much these days…

“If you want to set up a RAID0 now, click here, and when you’re done, come back”. And then on the new page, “Now if you want to set up XYZ, then click here, and come back when you’re done and continue at point ABC”. And so on, and so on…

Well. Anyway. Now I have done it. And if I have the nerve to do it all again with encryption, I’ll do that too.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

1 Like

By the way, you can install Arch and then the eOS repositories to convert a working install to eOS.

(personally, if I install eOS I remove the repos because I don’t need anything from them but keep the branding package just for the logo :wink: )

Yeah i know. But i start using Antergos and now EndeavourOS because i was everytime to lazy to install Arch manual :smile:

Maybe the Developer of EndeavourOS want someday write a Tool for easy creating RAID Systems with encryption. Because they have already few nice tools :smile:

The only thing i can do, is to write a Script wich could make this. But i dont know how to integrate this into calamares.

You should direct those requests to the Calamares devs, not the EOS devs, although the link I provided shows the Calamares devs are not interested in doing this.