Convert from ext4 to btrfs (yet another post)

git, version control. All my important files for work, personal projects ~/www and dotfiles are safe.

NOW for whatever reason, USB fails to read or execute on reboot. I changed boot order in BIOS. Used Ventoy as suggested above, looks like a neat tool. Even with just the plain ISO burnt with dd or using Ventory, nothing happens, boots straight into my current installation.

Getting a little frustrated as this is not a difficult thing to do.

UGH!!!

Try with BIOS Quick Menu (another key combination, check with your user manual).
If it still does not show up in boot options, maybe try a different USB drive (it is not uncommon that some USB drives fail on booting).

Or maybe accept the message the Universe is trying to send you… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

This and, like I said before, I have recently even had a laptop refuse to boot from a given USB port (otherwise functional), but boot fine from another (both 2.0). That’s the first and only time I’ve seen this, but I’ve seen it. Computers can be finicky.

I have BIOS boot order to boot from one SSD that has Windows, or I can select the other SSD that has Linux. USB was always disabled for security reasons. I select USB and tried the other 3 USB ports, but still not working.

Driving me insane today!

Then you may well have an unbootable USB stick. It happens, and not infrequently.

Try it on other computers.

I am not sure you follow the advice.
Don’t use BIOS normal settings page. Use the Quick Boot BIOS menu, using a key combination (like F8, or F2 or other, depending the vendor) during POST.
This will provide feedback about the actual USB drive recognition.
It is possible (reported from users) that BIOS cannot recognize/see the drive. If you confirm it is recognized, and still not booting, then we go to the next troubleshooting advice.
Eliminate possible problems one by one :man_shrugging:

1 Like