Conky-Lua Deprecated [AUR] Alternatives?

I have been using conky-lua for a long time and just found out that it is deprecated due to the AUR being outdated and lua 5.4 supposedly does not work with conky 1.12.2. Does anyone know of a similar app (please no KDE widgets)?

conky supports lua since a long time, why not use the one from the repo?

depends=(
  'glibc' 'glib2' 'lua'

Will try this tonight after fixing the arch to aarch64.

I use conky-cairo - which has a PKGBUILD set up to allow the version you want to be built (up to git level). Libraries can also be selected as desired - I drop the nvidia integration, and add in the Audacious capability to match my setup, with a 10 second edit in the PKGBUILD. BTW - the maintainer is in constant conky devel mode (wrote and maintains conkywx weather+ library as well) so can be contacted if any problems arise…

PS: currently running 1.12.1 as later ones give some of my conkys fits as yet!

1 Like

I tried compiling with BUILD_AUDACIOUS=ON and adding audacious as a depend, but it gives an error about audclient, so i googled that and found a generic audacious PKGBUILD for that. I am still getting a lua nil value error. I am trying to use the conky-seamod and conky-serene git conkyrc files.

Sorry - wasn’t thinking that you’d be using that setup! If you are, I do it with yay libaudclient to get it on your system (I think it will still install that way - if not it can easily be found elsewhere and copied into place) and then modify the PKGBUILD in the 2 necessary places. In my case, I replace the reference to nvidia’s lib file with libaudclient, and set the BUILD to AUDACIOUS - as shown here:

Extracts from PKGBUILD
-------------------------------------
depends=( 'alsa-lib' 'libxml2' 'curl' 'cairo' 'wireless_tools' 'libxft' 'librsvg' 'glib2' 'libxdamage' 'imlib2' 'lua' 'libaudclient' 'libxinerama' )

-------------------------------------

cmake \
		-D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release \
		-D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr \
		-D BUILD_WLAN=ON \
		-D BUILD_CURL=ON \
		-D BUILD_RSS=OFF \
		-D BUILD_XDBE=ON \
		-D BUILD_XSHAPE=ON \
		-D BUILD_IMLIB2=ON \
		-D BUILD_ICONV=ON \
		-D BUILD_WEATHER_METAR=OFF \
		-D BUILD_WEATHER_XOAP=OFF \
		-D BUILD_LUA_CAIRO=ON \
		-D BUILD_LUA_IMLIB2=ON \
		-D BUILD_LUA_RSVG=ON \
		-D BUILD_AUDACIOUS=ON \

I now have conky working, just gave up on Audacious as I don’t use it. I also, have lua working with conkyrc_seamod and have updated to my system and changed the colors. Thanks for all of the help!

Yeah - the audacious is only for extra goodies with conky, and not relevant if you don’t have it in use! I have it displaying the album cover art, track length and position, and a bar graph of position (see pic) - but it is hardly definitive!

aud-pc

Glad you got it going - just look out for potential addiction (see back catalog in Share Your Desktop, for instance!).

1 Like

I just shared my first conky yesterday and I see why it is so addicting.

It can be very helpful or hurtful. It is really nice to hit a keyboard sequence and see the weather or visually tell why your PC is laggy by just looking at your desktop w/o having to use top/bpytop/htop… Also, for me it is a good excuse to force me to learn lua and figure out why something is not working right.