Conky: add some extra data

for each command you have to recalculate the cut values.

the same procedure here too, i only let me see everything without the cut command.

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer string:"
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon Vega 10 Graphics (raven, LLVM 14.0.6, DRM 3.47, 5.19.7-arch1-1)

as an example, i only want to display ‘Radeon Vega 10’, i count from the left to the R(adeon), is 29, then i continue to count to the 0(Vega 1>>0<<), is 42. so are the cut values 29-42.

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer string:" | cut -c 29-42
Radeon Vega 10

Yes, I realized that, and that is how I got it to display the CPU info, and also for GPU I got UHD Graphics 630, the latter with cut values 38-55.

It is the bit before UHD that is missing. If I drop the cut value to 10, i.e. 10-55, then I get this:

I even tried to increass the upper cut bracket to 80 in case CoffeeLake was there, but it is not.

So, the CoffeeLake bit does not get picked up by the code.

if you want to display it from ‘Mesa’ then the first value is 25-55. for Intel it is from 30-55.

is CoffeeLake displayed with the command glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer string:" ?
can you post the output?

Output from the terminal:

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer string:"
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2)

CoffeeLake isn’t there, but you can add it as text if you want to include it.

1 Like

OK, so that means, I assume, that there is no other command that can dig out the CoffeeLake bit. I added it as text.

Last question about my Conky:

Why do RAM and Swap show 2 different totals? My machine has 8 Gig of Ram, yet it is shown as 7.64 and 8.18. It is not a big deal, I’m just curious.

Because of the RAM, I guess that memory is reserved, for e.g. the integrated GPU.

I can’t tell you exactly about the swap because I don’t have any background information, how it is created the swap and whether it was in GB or GiB, because there are inaccuracies in the conversion. GB is 1000MB and GiB is 1024MB. For example, if you create 8000 MB with Gparted, then it is 7.45 GiB.

OK, thanks for that explanation.

And on that note this thread can be closed. Your input and that of @torius gave me a bit more insight and understanding of a conky.

I cannot decide which of the posts I should mark as the solution. @torius provided the first suggestions, which eventually led to a solution thanks to further input from you.

So, thanks to both of you, I appreciate it. :pray: :+1:

1 Like

After updating the system conky does not run anymore, even when I try to run it from the terminal. Nothing happens.

it would be helpful if you share the content of your conky file. use something like pastebin.com. the terminal output that is produced when you start conky from the terminal would also be interesting.

I created an account and did my 1st paste, which is here https://pastebin.com/JQCAQC8x

Output from the terminal:

./conky.conf
./conky.conf: line 1: syntax error in conditional expression
./conky.conf: line 11: syntax error near `alignment'
./conky.conf: line 11: `    alignment = 'top_left','

I don’t recognize the error of line 11.

delete lines 1 to 8. they are not necessary.

This is weird because I did not change anything. Anhow, I deleted lines 1-8, but the weirdness is still there: here is the terminal when I run ./conky.conf:

/conky.conf
./conky.conf: line 1: conky.config: command not found
./conky.conf: line 2: alignment: command not found
./conky.conf: line 3: background: command not found
./conky.conf: line 4: border_width: command not found
./conky.conf: line 5: cpu_avg_samples: command not found
./conky.conf: line 6: default_color: command not found
./conky.conf: line 7: default_outline_color: command not found
./conky.conf: line 8: default_shade_color: command not found
./conky.conf: line 9: color1: command not found
./conky.conf: line 10: double_buffer: command not found
./conky.conf: line 11: draw_borders: command not found
./conky.conf: line 12: draw_graph_borders: command not found
./conky.conf: line 13: draw_outline: command not found
./conky.conf: line 14: draw_shades: command not found
./conky.conf: line 15: extra_newline: command not found
./conky.conf: line 16: font: command not found
./conky.conf: line 17: gap_x: command not found
./conky.conf: line 18: gap_y: command not found
./conky.conf: line 19: minimum_height: command not found
./conky.conf: line 20: minimum_width: command not found
./conky.conf: line 21: net_avg_samples: command not found
./conky.conf: line 22: no_buffers: command not found
./conky.conf: line 23: out_to_console: command not found
./conky.conf: line 24: out_to_ncurses: command not found
./conky.conf: line 25: out_to_stderr: command not found
./conky.conf: line 26: out_to_x: command not found
./conky.conf: line 27: own_window: command not found
./conky.conf: line 28: own_window_class: command not found
./conky.conf: line 29: own_window_transparent: command not found
./conky.conf: line 30: own_window_argb_visual: command not found
./conky.conf: line 31: own_window_type: command not found
./conky.conf: line 32: own_window_hints: command not found
./conky.conf: line 33: show_graph_range: command not found
./conky.conf: line 34: show_graph_scale: command not found
./conky.conf: line 35: stippled_borders: command not found
./conky.conf: line 36: update_interval: command not found
./conky.conf: line 37: uppercase: command not found
./conky.conf: line 38: use_spacer: command not found
./conky.conf: line 39: use_xft: command not found
./conky.conf: line 40: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
./conky.conf: line 40: `}'

To run it from terminal you would need to do

conky -c /path/to/conky.conf &

If you put conky.conf in $HOME/.config/conky, you should be able to click the item in your menu for ‘conky’, and it should launch.

EDIT: forgot the &

If I click on the item, I get this pop-up:

If I click on Run in Terminal, there is a flash but nothing else happens. If I click on Run, nothing happens.

As for running it in the terminal, I 1st cd to the folder, which, like you state is $HOME/.config/conky, then do ./conky.conf. Do I still need to add the -c and the &? If so, what is the syntax if I am in the conky folder with the terminal?

Sorry, I meant launcher menu, I use KDE so it is under System->conky.

If you have it in that folder, you should be able to type just conky &, and it should work. Otherwise, I would recommend to use the whole line conky -c $HOME/.config/conky/conky.conf &.

• -c tells it the config file to use
  • & runs it in a background process
1 Like

Yes, typing conky & did the trick!

So, does that mean every time the PC is rebooted I have to start conky that way, or is there a way to start it automatically?

Glad that worked for you.

Depending on your desktop environment and settings, it is quite possible it will not come back after a reboot. Also, running it from a terminal, it will likely go away if you close that terminal.

This link for Conky Archwiki takes you directly to the section for config/location for desktop environments to autostart. This link Autostarting Archwiki has more information for desktop environment as well as window managers.

1 Like

Conky Archwiki suggests:

conky.config = {
    background = true,
}

which is already in the conky.config file.

Autostarting Archwiki talks about a few desktop environments, but not Cinnamon, which is what I am on.

So, that probably means I’ll have to manually start conky after each reboot. No problem, knowing it is better than not knowing it and flailing about. I also found an entry in the main menu, so next time I reboot I will try to use that 1st.

BTW, on the Autostarting Archwiki page there is a link to all desktop environments, which I checked out. There I learend Cinnamon’s origin is Linux Mint, whereas XFCE’s origin is Unix. To me that means XFCE is also much more in line with Arch Linux. I regret having installed Cinnamon instead of XFCE, but that’s another story.

Thanks a lot for your help!

1 Like