Computer keeps rebooting randomly

Recently my computer has been randomly rebooting. My main monitor will go completely grey for a moment while my secondary will go completely green. Then the whole computer will shut down and start back up asking for my encryption password. I have gathered journal logs with a recent crash, computer turned off at 11:37 am but I am not seeing anything in the logs…is there some where else I can look to troubleshoot?

[sparda@sparda-Desktop Downloads]$ journalctl --since=“2024-04-1 11:00:00” | eos-sendlog
→ The URL below will expire in 7 days.
https://0x0.st/Xz9g.txt

From command line can you run this command to get your system information:

inxi -b

I haven’t had a crash since this morning (haven’t been on the computer) but here is the output

System:
  Host: sparda-Desktop Kernel: 6.8.2-arch2-1 arch: x86_64 bits: 64
  Desktop: Xfce v: 4.18.1 Distro: EndeavourOS
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: ASUS product: N/A v: N/A serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: ASUSTeK model: TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI v: Rev 1.xx
    serial: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 2412
    date: 01/26/2024
CPU:
  Info: 12-core AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D [MT MCP] speed (MHz): avg: 2142
    min/max: 400/5617
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Navi 31 [Radeon RX 7900 XT/7900 XTX/7900M] driver: amdgpu
    v: kernel
  Device-2: AMD Raphael driver: amdgpu v: kernel
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.11 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu
    unloaded: modesetting,radeon dri: radeonsi gpu: amdgpu resolution:
    1: 2560x1440~240Hz 2: 2560x1440~144Hz
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 compat-v: 4.5 vendor: amd mesa v: 24.0.3-arch1.2
    renderer: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX (radeonsi navi31 LLVM 17.0.6 DRM 3.57
    6.8.2-arch2-1)
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE driver: r8169
  Device-2: MEDIATEK MT7921K Wi-Fi 6E 80MHz driver: mt7921e
  Device-3: Sony DualSense wireless controller (PS5)
    driver: playstation,snd-usb-audio,usbhid type: USB
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 2.73 TiB used: 901.33 GiB (32.3%)
Info:
  Memory: total: 64 GiB available: 62.02 GiB used: 5.8 GiB (9.4%)
  Processes: 649 Uptime: 7h 28m Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.33

Do you have both XFCE and Gnome desktops installed?

Apr 01 11:14:17 sparda-Desktop systemd[1240]: Listening on GNOME Keyring daemon.

I guess what i would ask is what is the power supply in this build? Make and Wattage?

Edit: Also with this CPU it is recommended using liquid cooler. Are temps good so it’s not overheating?

Edit: Does Pci-e support ASPM? Maybe check the bios setting and try it with it off.

Edit: Are you over clocking the ram?

1 Like

May we know what you’re doing when this random restart occurs?

As @ricklinux said I assume this seems to be a heating issue. Would you be able to check the CPU temps while you’re working and let us know?

1 Like

I do not have GNOME desktop installed but I use GNOME keyring for XIVlauncher, I can uninstall it and see if it helps

I do not think this is a heat issue, it seems to restart only when sitting idle and temps are around 38 Celsius. It is liquid-cooled

Power supply is a Corsair RM1000e which has worked for months prior to this crash starting

I am doing the factory overclocking the ram (AMDexpo). Again this has been working for months prior to this but I did not think to test it. Ill turn off the over clock and test

1 Like

I would not uninstall the gnome keyring. It was a question to determine what i was reading in the journal.

The system rebooting on its own usually hardware related. I did not see a software crash or dump.

1 Like

I just turned off AMDexpo in my Bios and I’ll ride it out today to see if it happens…I found an article listing that this can happen with ASUS motherboards and that you need to select “EXPO Tweaked” in bios settings. I’ll test with that after I test with it off as well.

But in the end I think you are right, seems to be a hardware issue not a EndeavourOS issue

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.