Computer Can't Run Linux

I just paid good money for a computer…and it can’t run Linux!

It’s a working 1984 IBM PC Jr. :grin: Nostalgia took hold and raided my bank account. This was the first computer I ever used - my dad brought one home when I was quite the youngin. I spent countless amounts of time on that thing.

I don’t even have a great place to put it but I’ll find a spot. My wife will be shaking her head and rolling her eyes at me relentlessly. But it will be totally worth it.

8 Likes

While I have no hands-on experience with it, there is ELKS:

ELKS is a project providing a Linux-like OS for systems based on the Intel IA16 architecture (16-bit processors: 8086, 8088, 80188, 80186, 80286, NEC V20, V30 and compatibles). Such systems are ancient computers (IBM-PC XT / AT and clones) as well as more recent SBCs, SoCs, and FPGAs.

4 Likes

Wow…yeah…I guess you’re right. Linux was written on the i386. I don’t think anyone successfully backported it to 80286/8088 (never heard of ELKS until just now).

1984 I was on a C/CPM machine with (gasp) 16k of memory and floppy disks :smiley: Wrote a full factory control system in dBase II (worked for a grinding wheel company at the time).

For the life of me, cannot remember the make of the computer!!!

2 Likes

Not Linux, but used to have a licensed copy of Coherent back in the day. You can check the first post or two in this conversation for links to images of the installation floppy disks and the installation manuals. You could probably get this to run on Junior.

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.coherent/c/Cg5Cr8zsuvo

1 Like

This is cool. I had not heard of it. Thanks!

in 1993 I spent in insane amount of money on a Midwest Micro Soundbook Elite with a 386DX and a math co-processor. It only took me a few weeks to figure out how to dual boot DOS 6.2 / Windows 3.1 with Coherent linux after spending $99.95 for a licensed copy. That was my first real introduction to *NIX type systems. It was about a year or so after that when Slackware 2.0 came out and I made the switch to Linux. Good times!

2 Likes

You have just a few Linux years on me. Slackware in about 1996 was my first Linux experience. Ahh the good old days, when I had no clue what I was doing. I still don’t but I sound a bit more educated about it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A computer even older than me. That’s pretty cool.

1 Like

You get bonus points if you can get X11R5 working on it too!

I’m sure I can squeeze that to fit in my ripping 128k of memory!

1 Like