Chromium Based Browser Crashes - Solution

Okay this subject pertains to users whom are on [testing] repositories in /etc/pacman.conf

I discovered that Chromium based browser suffered the dreaded “Aw, Snap!” page crashing issues.
Especially with You Tube video

If your addicted to Chrome or Chromium based browsers recommend switching to Brave browser.
Solution: I’m now using the [brave-nightly-bin] in AUR & this fixed it.
I can now stay on testing repository

Endeavour to make your life easier

2 Likes

over which chromium browser version is it . ? Also testing is for testing purpose had yesterday bit issue with youtube but is some quirk but crashing ?

what errors does it show if you run it with logging enabled?
--enable-logging=stderr --v=1

But Brave is also Chromium based, so perhaps it is an issue with Chrome?

I encountered the “aw snap!” issues but when using google-chrome, installed version was 79.something , but yay showed that a newer version 80.0.3987.106-1 was available in the “Stable” channel, upgrading to that fixed the “aw snap!” issues.

I’m using the browser: SRWare Iron portable 64-bit for linux

Here is the report log which causes the “Aw, Snap!” page

…/…/sandbox/linux/seccomp-bpf-helpers/sigsys_handlers.cc:CRASHING:seccomp-bpf failure in syscall 0230
Received signal …/…/sandbox/linux/seccomp-bpf-helpers/sigsys_handlers.cc:CRASHING:seccomp-bpf failure in syscall 0230
11 SEGV_MAPERR 0000000000e6

I am also having the same issue with Opera browser, even when I switched to LTS kernel.

I haven’t really experienced this with brave personally, just with opera.

Opera is also chrome based these days. Depend on their system how fast they follow

Same. I was also having frequent sudden page crashes using Opera on lts kernel. I reinstalled it now and trying to reproduce the crashes in order to look at the error(s), but surprisingly it has been stable for now :persevere:

edit: finally it crashed while trying to access wikipedia :sweat_smile:
The error:
../../sandbox/linux/seccomp-bpf-helpers/sigsys_handlers.cc:**CRASHING**:seccomp-bpf failure in syscall 0230

Seems like the same as above…

Keep te builddate in the eye if you look in pstatus in cli or pacman -Qi. Xxxx

Peek at the build date , opera is chromium based but depend they keep up with the updates

Surprisingly for me it doesn’t seem to crash after rebooting into EndeavourOS without having to reinstall Opera :). They must have patched it.

Oh that sucks :frowning: But yeah it seems more stable now all though I am using LTS kernel right now. Try boot into LTS, so far it has not crashed for me. Can you send me the link to the exact page you were accessing on wiki so that I can try and see if it crashes or not?

Edit: Ah there it goes it crashes on YouTube… finally.

Luckily I don’t have those problems. But as far as I know a quick and dirty workaround would be to start the browser with the parameter --no-sandbox. Not the best and safest solution but it might work.

1 Like

Yes, it indeed seems to be a bit more stable now, before it was crashing all over the place, when I was opening bookmarks, settings, anything…It was literally unusable. Maybe there was a patch lately that alleviated the issue a bit, I don’t know for sure.

I was just trying to access the main page of Wiki. Then again it doesn’t seem to matter where it crashes, seems like anything can trigger it.

I’ve found this thread on Opera Forums, mentioning briefly the same issue. Using the option --disable-seccomp-filter-sandbox while launching it apparently can fix the issue.

1 Like

I think it is better now. What is strange is that on Windows Opera is working fine (using the same PC).

Right now it seems like only while watching YouTube videos causes this.

So do I type this into terminal opera --disable-seccomp-filter-sandbox? What does it exactly do?

Edit: it now crashed on Google so yeah it crashes anywhere.

Yes just starting it from the terminal with that option. The option does, what it says. If I understand it correctly Seccomp sandbox is a security layer and normally it would be preferred not to touch it. Probably it would be better to wait for a normal patch that will fix the issue entirely, it there are other browser options.

I would probably not disable it then. What does this security layer do exactly if you happen to know?

@unix_lover, here is a bit about it:

if I am not mistaken.

maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain what it is in simple words and say how safe it is to disable…

1 Like

Thanks for the link anyways :slight_smile:

1 Like

Has this bug been resolved yet? For me this is still going on, Opera is still very unstable. Is anyone still experiencing these crashes?

It was still present the last time I’ve checked :frowning_face:

1 Like