Choice of mobile browser

Nightly is a great browser but since I have moved away from Firefox on the computer due to irritations I don’t use it much.

Mozilla project stays the one about freedom on internet, this is the heart of their project and not the same about Chromium. It’s not because you show the code that you don’t steal the data. Chromium is basically Google…and we know their way to not respect privacy data.

You have also Tor where devs team helped for the security of Firefox…

Kiwi you are using, based on Chromium, the dev are from Estonia.

Tor was developed by the American Military and the NSA; some people trust it far less than Google, other refuse to go on the net without it. I don’t care; I use a VPN I trust instead.

As for the rest; I have had this battle here before, people who can’t tell the blink web engine apart from Chrome. You don’t trust it? Fine. It is very transparent, anyone can see where or if data is sent and there are extensions to block what is not actually opt out in settings (which is virtually nothing if you also disable google safe browsing for example).

Firefox is all about privacy they say, but IRL they are not better than Chromium or Vivaldi: Even with tracking protection and ad blocking set to “Strict” the built in blocker proudly announces for example that Youtube has zero (0) trackers.
Install Privacy Badger and you quickly realize it has… a few. But Mozilla deliberately whitelist doubleclick and google analytics.
In fact the only browser on the market that blocks ALL trackers by default is actually Brave. It is easy to test; install a few blockers and see that if you have tracker blocking ON in Brave even Privact Badger reports “0 trackers found” on really dirty pages like Youtube or Twitter.

I answered this because your title is Choice of mobile browser but inside your article you present it as Firefox an irritation and others not !

Well, we all know that if we could use Browsers for free, this is never free behind it…our behaviors throw our data transit from them.

Here is not the question, my point was if you writte a title Choice of mobile browser don’t influence a side, keep it neutral, if not you are creating the battle…of which one is the best.

At the end VPN stays your best friend…

Using ghacks user.js on both desktop and Firefox for Android.

or a DNS with adblock
https://securedns.eu/

I’m not using it, but there is also this option :slight_smile:

edit:
:see_no_evil: this one is not working anymore, but there are others DNS with adblock

Vivaldi and TOR-Browser.

Actually settled for Vivaldi in the end.
However had too report a bug since I have to type blind in this forum. The keyboard in Vivaldi covers the input window.

Update: the bug is, already fixed in Vivaldi Snapshot.

1 Like

Bromite…Installed and have been using for several days…Very good first impressions…

Health and Peace

1 Like

which was your previous browser? :slight_smile:

Snapshot is far better, but compiling the neded ffmpeg is a drag though.

Widewine is flaged out of date, but at least it gets me Netflix. :slight_smile:

@cipolla … Over the years I have used just about every browser on my Android phones…Currently I have Firefox, DuckDuckGo, and Bromite installed…I have been using Bromite as my default for several days and it is performing very well…Is it a keeper?..Time will tell…
Also the F-Droid Repository is a good source for more secure apps…
Worth a shot in my opinion…
Health and Peace

1 Like

That’s fixed. Vivaldi now auto-downloads it for Linux too. So you can just scrap the package AFAIK

1 Like

I just installed it on Linux (worth noting that installing Snapshot in Windows overwrites Stable while of course in Linux it installs it n parallel).

Anyway: When I started Snapshot it DID warn that it was lacking the codex just like Stable used to do (but I can’t imagine they have ripped that feature out of snapshot)… but the test video still played.
I don’t know if it just hadn’t downloaded them yet, or if it used the ffmpeg codecs from Stable or simply from Chromium that I still have installed.

If it is the latter then well… it seems far less painful to keep Chromium installed and never started than to compile the codec.

:slight_smile: why do you prefer bromite over firefox?

@cipolla …Less cluttered…Maybe leaner…Purely subjective…Seems faster…
Health and Peace

1 Like

I use the internet relatively little on mobile, so the default Chrome browser is pretty much appropriate for me on my Android phone. If not, I would still use Firefox. I use Safari on my iPhone.

Has anyone used this one? If yes, how was your experience of it?

Ungoogled-Chromium-Android Extension Version because it allows me to install ublock origin and use startpage for search engine. I like Bromite as well, but I don’t agree with the developer’s choice to remove and not allow startpage. I am a Firefox (nightly) user on desktop and really like it. I have tried just about all versions of Firefox on Android and have found them to be slow. They have a lag when accessing webpages that the chromium based browsers don’t have. I like Kiwi as well, but I have concerns about security even with the recent updates. Last I looked, I couldn’t be sure that they were using a current chromium codebase or just altering the useragent.

1 Like

Is it this:

?

1 Like