Choice of mobile browser

Just curious what browsers you are using on your mobile devices?

I have three installed on my Android phone:
Kiwi, Firefox Nightly and DuckDuckGo

My default is Kiwi since it is the only chromium based that fully supports extensions. In an desktop browser way. Anything you can add to chromium on the desktop you can download and activate in Kiwi.

Nightly is a great browser but since I have moved away from Firefox on the computer due to irritations I don’t use it much.

Duckduck is there because it is very handy at times.

Mainly Firefox.

1 Like

I am actually using Brave a bit on mobile - the ‘accessibility settings’ are superior, and allow a relatively easy font resize on the fly (which seems to have disappeared from Firefox - along with code page selection).

Actually, mobile is a bit of a misnomer for me - a tablet is what I use - the phone is mainly a phone + alarm + an epub reader!

2 Likes

I’m using Brave as well. For me I don’t do much at all on my phone though, just going to links that friends post/send. Any shopping, serious email writing, etc I sit down at the desktop for.

1 Like

I love brave but for political reasons I cannot endorse it, sadly. Otherwise I would use it on both desktop and phone.

I was also using kiwi, but not anymore
since it’s not updated from a lot of months

1 Like

Firefox. On desktop and mobile.

Fennec F-Droid. The Firefox from F-droid, with several addons for privacy.

1 Like

Dammit, I didn’t notice that.
I can’t stand Vivaldi’s interface… So Chrome or Samsung Browser it is, then.
edit: or Edge

there is also bromite

but I’ve never tried it

Main features

native adblock engine with filters from EasyList, EasyPrivacy, uBlock origin and others
customizable filters via user-provided URL
remove click-tracking and AMP from search results
DNS-over-HTTPS support, you can use any DoH endpoint
Proxy configuration with PAC and custom proxy lists support
chrome flags to disable custom intents and clear session on exit
always-incognito mode
removed privacy-unfriendly features
privacy enhancement patches from → Iridium, → Inox patchset, → Brave and → ungoogled-chromium projects
security enhancement patches from GrapheneOS project
canvas, audio and other anti-fingerprinting mitigations
import/export bookmarks
allow playing videos in background
all codecs included (proprietary, open H.264 etc.)
AV1 codec support
built with official speed optimizations

I am not often online with my smartphone. but if so, then with the brave browser. I can link the desktop version with the mobile in terms of BAT.
the mobile brave is not as fast as the desktop version IMO.
there are also too many IMO mobile browsers. the choice is a little difficult for me.

I never even tried that on my phone, to be honest. If it’s even half decent it might make sense for the little bit of poking around I do on my phone.

Not in the Google Store, unfortunately.

It is actually listed as one of the top 3 Android browsers.
Its only real problem if on a non-samsung phone is that you have to have acces to Samsung Store for most extensions. You have 5 or so ad / content blockers to chose from when getting it from Google Store, at least.

1 Like

Nice to know, thank you for the info. I have a galaxy s8, so I’ll check out those ad blockers and see what it looks like.

I’m using a system-wide adblocker, so, no need for that. :wink:

I switched to Firefox to get uBlock.

1 Like

Vivaldi FTW :grinning:

1 Like

I am actually testing a lot right now; trying to wrap my head around Vivaldi’s design choices both on the PC and on my phone and I must say what really strikes me on both is how old fashioned it is in it’s design language.

Desktop Vivaldi truly looks and feels like a remastered version of old pre-chromium Opera. Which makes sense but it bugs me that they have 1000 features but none of the features I, personally, use.

More to the point in this thread: The phone version have actual tabs? In 2020? How long ago was it any other browser on a mobile platform had actual clickable tabs? That in itself makes it feel really dated. It doesn’t help that it is very clunky to change tabs the other way either. Clicking on the “Open tabs” button opens them in a stiff grid where you can’t drag them around or flip thru them which again feels very 2015, or even older.

It feels to me like Vivaldi was very innovative when it came, but they kept focusing on the things that made it innovative and didn’t update the rest, which now makes the over all experience dated; the over all UI, despite all the small brilliant things they have, feels like a pre-2015 browser. On both platforms.

Vivaldi didn’t have those tabs in beta version, when it looked pretty much like Chrome. You can turn them off in settings.