Changing video card, suggestions procedure?

Good morning everyone,

I currently have an NVIDIA 1060 6GB has been doing its job but lately it’s really driving me crazy so today I bought this video card that I personally like: GIGABYTE Radeon RX 6700 XT GAMING OC 12GB GDDR6… Now, when I need to replace the card what procedure should I follow at the operating system level?

I thank you all

Others can correct me if im wrong, but it should be as simple as

1. Make sure you remove any configurations you made to the xorg config. To check this, write this in your terminal:
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

And also:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
  1. Log in to your TTY and remove your nvidia packages. To see what packages you have installed, this command can be used:
pacman -Q | grep -i nvidia

If you have the open source driver video-linux, keep it.

1. Shut down your computer and install your AMD Graphics Card.

2. It should just power up like normally, but at this point you need to install the open source (or closed source AMD developed driver).

amdvlk - AMD developed Open Source driver
RADV - Mesa developed Open Source driver
amdpro - AMD developed closed source driver

In my personal opinion, the RADV driver out performs the other two, but if you have issues with it, try the other drivers as well.

Hope I laid out everything correctly, if there is a correction that needs to be made I’ll update the reply.

Edited 1st and 2nd step, thank you pebcak.

Just that this is for deb package based systems?

I would replace dpkg -l with pacman -Q

Also, I would look under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d to see if there are any nvidia related conf files to remove.

1 Like

updated to reflect this, thank you!

1 Like

Since the card will reach me between April 3 and 8, I will keep you updated on the progress and how it went

2 Likes

I would do this:

1. nvidia-inst -n

The above uninstalls the nvidia driver.

1. Check your systemd-boot / Grub for nvidia related settings and remove them - nvidia-drm.modeset=1 nvidia-drm.fbdev=1 etc.

2. What @WiFiBills and @pebcak said.

2 Likes