Changing GPU from Nvidia to AMD

Hi!
I currently use an Nvidia GPU (RTX 3060 12GB) but I’ve ordered an AMD Radeon RX6800XT because AMD has better drivers and more VRAM. I am planning on selling my old GPU so I will not use both at once.
Now, when I did install EndeavourOS I chose the option Nvidia driver option, do I need to reinstall my system when upgrading to AMD or can I just uninstall the Nvidia driver packages through pacman and install the AMD drivers instead?

pretty much what i would do.

3 Likes

Hello,
I don’t think it’s necessary to reinstall your entire system.
Just install the AMD driver and (if you want to) remove the Nvidia packages.
Also take any custom changes that you might have done to e.g. xorg.conf into consideration.

2 Likes

(deleted by author)

I don’t think I did any of that. I’m not that advanced at Linux yet. :sweat_smile:

Thanks @thefrog and @anon92589110 for your answers!

Hello,

You personally no, but the Nvidia configuration tool could modify the xorg.conf and that could prevent the AMD driver to function properly.

You will need these packages (libva for hardware acceleration support) :

xf86-video-amdgpu
mesa
libva
libva-mesa-driver

1 Like

How do I revert the changes the EndeavourOS installer made to Xorg then?

I would uninstall all the nividia and the change cards. AMD runs on amdgpu kernel module. There are some other drivers you can install after if needed for vulkan and other things.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AMDGPU#Installation

2 Likes

You can delete the file :

sudo rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf

because it’s not needed/mandatory for AMD, the configuration is automatic.

1 Like

Note that you may have kernel parameter nvidia-drm.modeset=1 in either /etc/kernel/cmdline (systemd-boot) or /etc/default/grub (grub).
Also, worth checking that you don’t have kernel parameter ibt=off.

Those parameters are only used with Nvidia cards, not AMD.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the additional tips and instructions! I’ve changed my GPU and everything works great!

4 Likes

If you consider this Topic as solved, go to the post you feel most helped you fix the problem.
Then click on the Solution icon.

This will trigger the forum software to do it’s thing and hopefully help future users with this problem.

Pudge

2 Likes

Sure :+1:t2:
I didn’t mark a post as a solution first because there are so many useful posts in this thread and I didn’t want to choose. :sweat_smile:
Regardless, a choice has been made.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.