Changes to KVM?

Hi all,

As part of my new install of Endeavor I found that KVM is associated with the user libvirt-qemu instead of libvirt now.

I usually use https://linuxhint.com/install_configure_kvm_archlinux/ which used to work, however even adding myself to the libvirt-qemu user it doesn’t change anything. The error I’m getting is:

Unable to complete install: ‘Cannot access storage file ‘/home/chris/VMs/new_work.qcow2’ (as uid:966, gid:966): Permission denied’

User 966 is the libvirt-qemu install.

In case it matters the qcow2 file is one I’ve brought over from other installs so I can do my day job without issues.

What are the permissions on the file, and on the directory tree? Are all directories traversable by 966?

The directory is /home/chris/VMs is currently set to libvirt-qemu:libvirt-qemu with perms drwxr-xr-x, the actual file has perms of 777 currently with the same user, however being that its in /home/chris (which is owned by chris:chris ) it may not be able to get to it I guess.

Previous version of the KVM software was able to fix the perms on its own, it seems this new version has forgotten how? Really frustrating.

I’d probably reset the permissions along these lines:

sudo chown -R $USER:libvirt-qemu /home/chris/VMs
chmod -R u+rwX,g+rwX /home/chris/VMs
chmod a+X /home/chris

That fixed it, thanks Jonathon

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.