Change dock to stay on screen

Hey everyone!

I am somewhat new to Linux. I have been using Ubuntu for about 6 months. I have been playing with Endeavour OS and I would love to permanently make the change. But I installed the Gnome DE but I can’t seem to figure out how to make the dock to stay in the screen. I hate having to click activities just to see the dock. Is there any guide to this?
endeavor_three

You could also use super (windows) key to get to activity view.
Or use an extension like dash to dock for having the dock permanently on the screen. However I don’t know if the extension has been updated for GNOME 40 or not.

I use dash to panel myself to have a more “conventional” panel on the screen.

2 Likes

There isn’t a Gnome 40 compatible version of Dash To Dock on the gnome.extensions.org … but there is a very stable version available from github if you are a fan of that extension. I’ve been using it for more than a month now without issues. If you are interested, here are the steps to clone the repo, switch to the Gnome-40 branch and build the extension…

git clone https://github.com/micheleg/dash-to-dock.git
cd dash-to-dock
git checkout -b gnome-40 origin/ewlsh-ewlsh/gnome-40
make
make install

This will put Dash to Dock extension files in the correct location, but you will want to log out and log back in to enable the extension.

PS - I almost forgot to say … Welcome to the Endeavour community!

3 Likes

Have you tried KDE Plasma instead of GNOME? It’s very easy to configure the dock to be where you want it, when you want it! You can use a custom dock like Latte…

2 Likes

Plank is a simple dock that works on most DE’s. You can set it to remain visible, stay hidden or autohide then pop up. Preferences are set by entering plank --preferences in a terminal. I’ve used it on Gnome, KDE, Xfce and a few others as well. It is basic but if a dock is all you need then it’s fine. It’s very much like the Mac dock really, if you’re familiar with that.

@Kresimir

you funny . :pray: your answer bring smile to end of bad day .
EOS-Tux-Avatar

3 Likes