Can't use a Chromed base browser with Sway on ARM

For those of you running Sway on ARM, do you manage to run Chromium, Vivaldi or any browser that is chrome-based?

When I try to open these two, I’ve got an error, such as:

ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(1390)] Unable to open X display.

By the way, why do I need a chrome-based browser? Two reasons:

• To share sound in Jitsi (it can share sound from a Chromium tab, for instance, but not in a different way that I know of)

• To work with Zoom (in Firefox the camera doesn’t work)

It looks like you’re running into a problem with wayland and the browser trying to use X display instead of wayland. What do you get with this?

pacman -Q | grep wayland

It looks like you may need this package if you don’t already have it: https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/arm/xorg-xwayland It says it’s an optional dependancy of sway, and yet not a pulled dependancy of chromium to run x11 under wayland.

yay -S xorg-xwayland

updated because I realized this is for ARM

@Pudge does this sound about right? I know it’s an optional dependancy, but for EOS ARM Sway. . .

8 Likes

Precisely, I was missing that package, now both Chromium and Vivaldi open, thanks for that!

1 Like

So, I know it’s “optional” and we want to keep things minimal here- but this may be something we want to include with sway? @Pudge what do you think? I feel like this would be something that will become a VERY regular question to come up as people start using sway/ARM? Or add this to the “sway welcome” or “sway wiki” like we do with the bluetooth stuff currently on the welcome/wiki?

@OdiousImp I think you do some work on sway I believe also. Or anyone else who this may be relevant to.

Glad to help! And thanks for what you do here.

5 Likes

This is already part of packages in Sway ARM. It should come if you install via EOS

5 Likes

@lxnauta 5555 @OdiousImp you no miss anything :+1:

I laugh private joke with @lxnauta

3 Likes

By part of the packages, should this get pulled as a dependency of EOS sway?

4 Likes

It does ! If you install endeavouros arm sway :shushing_face:

4 Likes

That’s all that matters then! And that solves the mystery of the missing xorg package.

Time for a morning beer.

6 Likes

Nice way to start a day! :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

You can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning.

6 Likes

Sorry about this issue. It’s true, I’m running the EOS sway config on top of Arch, but I didn’t run the EOS ARM installer script on this installation because I wanted to learn more about how to build the system little by little. But I’m so used to get the solutions I need from EOS forum that I forgot to mention that this was an Arch install.

It’s for sure an example of me biting more than I can chew!

Thanks for your help and friendliness!

6 Likes

You. . . forgot to mention? Telling people you use Arch is the most important part of using Arch. . . . Don’t let that happen again. Tell EVERYONE.

:+1:

4 Likes

Pudge

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.