Can't move windows to the second desktop

So, a little while back, $mod+Shift+2 stopped working for me. Normally, it would move the current window to the second desktop. However, it does not do so anymore. All others work ($mod+Shift+1, $mod+Shift+3, etc.).

As a side note, in an attempt to debug, I change the line to bindsym $mod+Shift+2 exec notify-send "Hey!", but it doesn’t send in a notification. Also, when I reload the config, my waybar disappears after a second (although I’m not sure if it’s related).

I’m kind of at a loss of what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

share your config

Here is ~/.config/sway/config.d/default: https://pastebin.com/staBmcq2 , which has the config that isn’t working. Does that help? Or are there any other files that you need?

Does notify-send "hey!" works in your terminal ?

Maybe all the files in ~/.config/sway/config.d/ in case there’s a conflicting binding in a file other than the one you provided.

I know that pressing $mod+Shift+C should check for errors but I don’t know if the files other than default are also checked. If they’re not, you may have to visually inspect them to see if you’ve bound the problem key combo to something else.

All the best! Let us know …

Edit:
Or you could just cd to ~/.config/sway/config.d/ and then run grep -ie "$mod+shift+2" *.

> ~/.config/sway/config.d $ grep -ie "$mod+shift+2" *
default:    bindsym $mod+Shift+2 move container to workspace number 2
> ~/.config/sway/config.d $ 

So the output I get for grep -ie "$mod+shift+2" * is as follows:

default:    bindsym $mod+Shift+2 exec notify-send "Hey!"
default:    #bindsym $mod+Shift+2 move container to workspace number 2

Also, I checked it on another laptop of mine (that has the same config files), and it has the same problem. Here’s a link to my repository (that I just remembered I had) with all my config files: https://github.com/pixilcode/.config

Yep!

notify-send doesnt work in dnd mode is enabled in xfce

What happens with an entirely default config? In other words, a default ~/.config/sway? If that is normal, you can gradually move your modified files back until the problem reappears and then deal with it.