Can't make a partition on os drive

as you know you cant make a partition on a drive cannot be unmounted so you have to run a live boot usb (linux mint) to edit a partition but i get this issue when i try to make the partition on gparted

what should i do
also is there another way that i am missing to do this?
thanks

I’m not sure what you are trying to do here? It looks like you are trying to create a partition on Windows? If this is the case it is best to boot into Windows and use the disk management tool in Windows and shrink Windows partition or C: as it is installed on. This will leave an unallocated space on C: which you can use. Then you can run the install and select replace partition and select that unallocated space to install on.

Edit: If you require some other partition layout you would have to use manual partitioning on the installer then.

trying to create partition in linux mint live boot so i can make a partition where the endeaver os is
the partition is for windows

I still don’t understand what you are saying. Why would you try to make a partition on a live usb? :no_good_man:

sorry for the delayed response
i am unable to edit a partition because i cannot unmount the ssd(drive) that i want to make the partition on.
i am unable to unmount it because endeaver os is on that ssd(drive)… and i am using endeaveros so i have to go to a different os that isnt on my ssd so i can unmount the ssd and edit a partition

The bottom of the first screenshot of the first post just peaked me off repeatedly, for about two weeks trying to get Debian “DI-alpha” on an external USB disk.

Sadly I had to slow-format that disk. But I install anything based on Arch and it goes with no problems. What the fork, is GParted being run from Debian-based OS then? Nobody reported this issue in any forum, especially not Debian’s and I wasn’t in the mood to enroll in a forum other than this one for it. (Didn’t check others like Ubuntu.) Debian telling me my disk is too old and getting a “newer” version of some clunky broken partition-repair utility. No wonder there are two distros about to reach 30 years of age but nobody really cares if it doesn’t work.

EDIT: IINM EndeavourOS live ISO comes with GParted. Maybe it wouldn’t change anything but try booting with that ISO instead of Linux Mint and retrying the operation.

OK. Read things a bit more carefully. You cannot “unmount the SSD” because that is the internal disk of your computer, that cannot be unmounted. That is what it appears from the screenshots. Also you cannot unmount a partition from a disk that is active, because an OS booted from it, such as a live ISO. Anyways you might have to slow-format that “USB 3.2 Gen 1” thing whatever it is that you used for Linux Mint. The “nvme” listed things cannot be handled in that way. The EndeavourOS partition looks the largest, maybe you would be interested in resizing that? Or is that a complete listing of the partitions of the internal disk?

EDIT: Sorry, the GParted report confused me again. But I stand with what I said already, a partition that is activated by the OS, from where modules and programs are loaded into memory cannot be unmounted.

alright ill try that tommorow as i am pretty busy today…
thanks for the reply

i am trying to resize it for around 45 gigs for windows duel boot

What is “/dev/sda”? You have the internal disk which is called “nvme” something, and the Linux Mint live ISO which is “/dev/sdb”, so where is “/dev/sda”?

Oh I see it LOL, the screenshot has print which is too small for me to read unless I squint.

my ssd is called /dev/nvme0n1p4
while my hard drive is called /dev/sda1

ye sorry didnt take a screenshot cuz it was a diffrent os

also it says i should update e2fsck does that matter?

well how can i resize it then?

First off this nvme drive is /dev/nvme0n1
It already has some Windows partitions on it such as /dev/nvmeon1p1 which is the Windows /efi partition.
It also has /dev/nvme0n1p2 which is a Windows reserve partition.
Then you have /dev/nvme0n1p3 which is the efi partition from installing EndeavourOS
It also has the root partition for EndeavourOS /dev/nvme0n1p4

First my question is what happened to the original Windows installation? What is your plan for these left over Windows partitions? If you shrink /dev/nvme0n1p4 to install Windows on it then it’s going to create partitions again. I’m not sure it is going to reuse those left over Windows partitions when you reinstall Windows. :thinking:

Anyway the best way to shrink /dev/nvme0n1p4 is to boot on the live ISO and use gparted that comes on it and you should be able to shrink the partition as it is not mounted when doing this.

I’m not sure what you are using /dev/sda drive for? I also don’t know what size both of these drives are?

Personally this is not how i would install a dual boot Windows and EndeavourOS set up.

The best way to install EndeavourOS to dual boot if Windows is already installed is to boot into Windows and shrink the partition that Windows is installed on which is C: That leaves unallocated space which you can then use to install EndeavourOS.

If you are installing Windows on the drive the best way is to install Windows first but only use the space you want for Windows at the time of the install. Normally Windows on UEFI is going to create 4 partitions for that. Sometimes you may only see 3 as one is usually a small reserved partition. Then this leaves you the rest of the space on the drive that you didn’t use as unallocated space that you can use to install EndeavourOS on.

This is the best way because then you have EndeavourOS on it’s own partition at the end of the drive and not in the middle between the various WIndows partitions. It’s much cleaner doing it this way.

If you shrink /dev/nvme0n1p4 that has EndeavourOS on it an install Windows that’s up to you and it should work. I’m just not sure if it will keep those other two Windows partitions that are already there or create new ones on the install? It may but, I’m just not sure as i don’t normally install things this way. I usually either already have Windows and I’ll just shrink it in Windows and create unallocated space for Linux. But as i said if I’m installing Windows or reinstalling it I would install Windows first using only the space i want for it such as half the drive or less or more depending on what I’m doing. Then the rest of the drive is left as unallocated space to use for Linux and it is behind all the Windows partitioning.

Good Luck! :wink:

1 Like

The screen shot includes that particular partition being selected to be reduced in size but GParted reports an “e2fsck” error which is very irritating. The utility refuses to cooperate.

The OP was trying to create a c. 32GiB partition out of it.

It could be a limitation with GParted. If not then I think that the EndeavourOS live ISO should be used instead of for a Debian-based distro. That is, if the EndeavourOS ISO comes with GParted. :person_shrugging:

I know what the OP is trying to do and i think i explained what i would do. :thinking: The reasons why the user has problems i can’t comment on. I would have to try to duplicate it. If the user is running on EndeavourOS and trying to shrink the root partition i would say that that is not going to work because it is mounted. I can’t comment also on why it wouldn’t work with a live ISO of mint as i am not doing it. :man_shrugging:

I just explained how i usually like to set up dual boot with Windows. Others may do things differently. I don’t know.