Can't login to wayland session

I’ve seen this topic from others but their solution didn’t work for me. I have a working EOS Plasma system with X11 which is what you get if you do the defaults.

I tried to install plasma-wayland-session. After that I have the option on the sddm login screen to select Wayland, but if I do and login, it brings brings me back to the login. I saw a suggestion of installing egl-wayland. It was not installed on my system and installing it didn’t solve anything.

On previous builds I only needed plasma-wayland-session installed to make wayland work.

Anybody know what changed??

My system is an Intel Macbook Pro with Intel GFX only.

Operating System: EndeavourOS 
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.10
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.114.0
Qt Version: 5.15.12
Kernel Version: 6.7.0-arch3-1 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 7.7 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 3000
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Product Name: MacBookPro8,1
System Version: 1.0

I’m sure there is an appropriate command using journalctl that will give the right log, but I’m not sure what it is.

I read another post that mentioned to check ~/.bash_profile for exec startx

I commented it out as below:

#
# ~/.bash_profile
#

[[ -f ~/.bashrc ]] && . ~/.bashrc

if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ -n "$XDG_VTNR" ] && [ "$XDG_VTNR" -eq 1 ]; then
#  exec startx
fi

This now allows me to login either into Wayland or X11

Just nitpicking, but you could remove the whole if ... fi block since it is not needed for anything, and it actually causes an error message if empty.

BTW, this problem and solution have been mentioned in Welcome’s news (simply press the Software News button near the lower left corner in the Welcome window).

Thanks,

I’ve removed the whole if then…

I need to review the software news more. This fix for wayland is a new one for me. I never had issues in the past.

1 Like

Yeah, it was a bit of a surprise for the team too. It affected only the offline install, where the wrong config file was accidentally copied to the target.
And now that more users are starting to use wayland, this one popped out.
Fortunately the fix was very simple (as they often are after you pinpoint the real reason).

1 Like

Speaking of offline installs, I’m coming to the conclusion that offline install is a bad option to use. It actually takes longer than an online install. Plus you don’t have to upgrade once you complete the install. Maybe my experience is this way because I have 350Mbs download from just about any server for installs.

In your case online install makes much sense, and the same is true here too.

However, there are cases where internet usage is very expensive or slow, or is not working reliably, or some geographical areas are blocked in a country, and other reasons. Then offline install can make much more sense. That’s why we provide it too.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.