Can't install anything by pacman

Hi everyone, today I can’t install anything with sudo pacan -Sy package, he do the all process to installation but fails on file checking process, saying that:

a lot of filenames of packages is already on the filesystem.

And just broke the installation. I hope this don’t break an update, but can’t see that way if he locks the installation after see the packages is already on the filesystem, but it’s to update or install, not just keep there. Isn’t?

I already read that is check process and output message is “by design, will not overwrite files for you. This is by design, not a flaw.” But don’t help me to solve a package manage system.

Running pacman -Sy to install packages can absolutely break your system.

Please share the full output from sudo pacman -Syu packagename . Replace packagename with the actual package you are trying to install.

1 Like

Also have a look here:

1 Like

I tried to install dconf-editor, so use sudo pacman -Syu dconf-editor. The output was the following:

/usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/libhandy.mo existe no sistema de arquivos libhandy: /usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/libhandy.mo existe no sistema de arquivos libhandy: /usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/libhandy.mo existe no sistema de arquivos libhandy: /usr/share/vala/vapi/libhandy-1.deps existe no sistema de arquivos libhandy: /usr/share/vala/vapi/libhandy-1.vapi existe no sistema de arquivos Ocorreram erros e, portanto, nenhum pacote foi atualizado.

It’s saying that the fille libhandy and so on exists on the file system. The last error output was that errors occurred, so no packages were updated. But it’s the last lines of the output, have a lot of files with the same output.

Can you share 100% of the output for this command:

LANG=C sudo pacman -Syu dconf-editor

It would help to see it all. Use a pastebin service if it is too long. Also, use the command above so it will be in english

Same output.

We need to see all of it, not just a snippet. There are a lot of things that can cause that error.

First screenshot:

Second (begin):

Finally, third (end):

First, don’t post screenshots of text output.

Copy/paste it. If it is too large, use a pastebin service.

Second, that isn’t the full output. We literally need to see all of it.

Please share the full output of LANG=C sudo pacman -Syu

LANG=C sudo pacman -Syu | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io

Run this command and post the URL you will get in the terminal.

Sorry @dalto, the post was meant for @glauconeto :blush:

Ok, here is the FULL output:

It’ very shorter than the earlier:

:: Synchronizing package databases…

endeavouros downloading…
core downloading…
extra downloading…
community downloading…
multilib downloading…
:: Starting full system upgrade…
there is nothing to do

OK, that is helpful.

It looks to me like your pacman database was deleted or corrupted.

Did you do some cleanup or something in /var?

Either way, there is no great to fix that. I would reinstall.

Using overwrite won’t really help in that situation because pacman no longer knows what you have installed.

1 Like

Just wondering. Looks like you didn’t update in a while (162pkgs) but no kernel update? howcome?

Because of the database deletion/corruption.

Those packages are probably all the dependencies of dconf-editor

1 Like

Sure, I think it’s the main problem that causing all of this. I really did some changes on some /var/lib/pacman files and folders. It’s better to think reinstall than trying to fix it and ultimately wasting more time trying to actually fixing something. Thank you two anyway

2 Likes

Yes, if you deleted or moved the pacman files that would definitely cause this problem.