Can't get wireless adapter working on new install

Updated the UEFI/Bios with the latest version (no issues there thank goodness). Also tried your suggestion of uninstall (broadcom-wl-dkms) → reboot → reinstall → reboot. Unfortunately none of that got it working. And yes, I’m using systemd-boot.

At this point I feel like it just might not work, for whatever reason. I might just have to buy a newer adapter that’s an Intel driver/chipset instead of Broadcom.

I did notice something else, that may or may not be a red herring, but I realized that after about a minute my speakers will start to emit a quiet buzz. Usually they only do this if there is no signal going to them, like if I turn the computer off but leave the speakers on and this only happens in EOS (not Windows). The hum goes away as soon as the OS plays any sound (which works). But it seems odd that it seems to be completely cutting out the signal until there’s sound data to transfer over. Not sure if this indicates a wider hardware issue or not though.

You could try the lts kernel and see if the WiFi works. I would install the package akm as it is a kernel manager. It allows easy install and removal of kernels and kernel headers. The sound problem is by itself another issue with the sound chip itself which can be dealt with also.

Edit: I’m not sure if running sudo reinstall-kernels would help either?

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/installation/systemd-boot/2022/12/

Glad you had no issues. It’s pretty easy using EZ flash.

I tried installing the LTS kernel (both linux-lts and linux-lts-headers) with akm but it doesn’t seem to boot into the UI. It just gets to the end of the startup process (the many lines of text) and then never loads into UI shell.

I did also try running reinstall-kernels but that didn’t work.

Did you uninstall the lts then? Still booting okay on the current kernel I hope?

I haven’t uninstalled the LTS. The current mainline kernel still boots fine.

Okay well I’m not usually one to suggest the lts kernel but only when i run out of other ideas. You have a fairly new chipset motherboard so i tend to want to use the most current kernels on a rolling release distro as well as keep the UEFI Firmware (Bios) updated. I’m perplexed right now as to why the broadcom WiFi won’t work as i say I’m using the same chip.

@IsolatedRaking
Just out of curiosity? I’m grasping at straws. :rofl:

pacman -Qi plasma-nm

Output of that command is:

Name            : plasma-nm
Version         : 6.0.5-1
Description     : Plasma applet written in QML for managing network connections
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://kde.org/plasma-desktop/
Licenses        : GPL-2.0-or-later
Groups          : plasma
Provides        : None
Depends On      : gcc-libs  glib2  glibc  kcmutils  kcolorscheme  kcompletion  kconfig  kcoreaddons  kdbusaddons  kdeclarative  ki18n
                  kio  kirigami  knotifications  kquickcharts  ksvg  kwallet  kwidgetsaddons  kwindowsystem  libnm  libplasma
                  modemmanager-qt  networkmanager-qt  plasma-workspace  prison  qca-qt6  qcoro-qt6  qt6-base  qt6-declarative  solid
Optional Deps   : openconnect: Cisco AnyConnect VPN plugin [installed]
                  qt6-webengine: Cisco AnyConnect VPN plugin [installed]
Required By     : None
Optional For    : plasma-desktop
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 9.66 MiB
Packager        : Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava@archlinux.org>
Build Date      : Sat 25 May 2024 01:58:16 PM PDT
Install Date    : Tue 28 May 2024 09:21:24 AM PDT
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature

Okay just wanted to make sure it was installed. I figured it was since you have the network icon.

For the sound issue you could try creating the file in /etc/modprobe.d/intelpwrsave.conf

options snd_hda_intel power_save=0

This may or may not work but you could try that.

I have (further?) suspicion this really is just a hardware incompatibility issue at its root. I booted into Fedora and don’t get any wireless networks there either. Same issue across two different Linux OS seems to be more than just some sort of isolated issue with EOS.

Could be. I have the same chip and it works on my x570 motherboard without issue. Your motherboard is a different chipset. I guess if you need WiFi or want it then maybe try another Pci-e WiFi card.

Well, I put in a new network card (GC-WBAX210) and the wireless worked immediately. Didn’t have to manually install anything. I also noticed that rebooting doesn’t get stuck at “Rebooting” anymore.

1 Like

BTW, thanks for the audio suggestion. That seems to have fixed that issue as well.

1 Like

I’m just not sure why the Broadcom card won’t work as i have a number of them and they all seem to work fine. They are not all the same chips but one is exactly the same as yours and it’s on this system I’m using currently.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.