Can't get printer / scanner working: Brother DCP-7065DN

Hello!

I have a Brother DCP-7065DN. It is connected to LAN with static IP 192.168.10.21. I have used the above official Debian drivers in the past with Debian-based distros with no issues.

For Arch, I found a brother-dcp7065dn driver on AUR and installed it:

$ yay -S brother-dcp7065dn
AUR Explicit (1): brother-dcp7065dn-3.1.0-4
:: PKGBUILD up to date, skipping download: brother-dcp7065dn
  1 brother-dcp7065dn                (Build Files Exist)
==> Packages to cleanBuild?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==> N
  1 brother-dcp7065dn                (Build Files Exist)
==> Diffs to show?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==> 
==> Making package: brother-dcp7065dn 3.1.0-4 (Thu 04 May 2023 05:43:22 PM PDT)
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Found brgenml1cupswrapper-3.1.0-1.i386.deb
  -> Found brgenml1lpr-3.1.0-1.i386.deb
  -> Found cupswrapper-license.txt
  -> Found lpr-license.txt
==> Validating source files with sha256sums...
    brgenml1cupswrapper-3.1.0-1.i386.deb ... Passed
    brgenml1lpr-3.1.0-1.i386.deb ... Passed
    cupswrapper-license.txt ... Passed
    lpr-license.txt ... Passed
:: (1/1) Parsing SRCINFO: brother-dcp7065dn
==> Making package: brother-dcp7065dn 3.1.0-4 (Thu 04 May 2023 05:43:23 PM PDT)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Found brgenml1cupswrapper-3.1.0-1.i386.deb
  -> Found brgenml1lpr-3.1.0-1.i386.deb
  -> Found cupswrapper-license.txt
  -> Found lpr-license.txt
==> Validating source files with sha256sums...
    brgenml1cupswrapper-3.1.0-1.i386.deb ... Passed
    brgenml1lpr-3.1.0-1.i386.deb ... Passed
    cupswrapper-license.txt ... Passed
    lpr-license.txt ... Passed
==> Removing existing $srcdir/ directory...
==> Extracting sources...
  -> Extracting brgenml1cupswrapper-3.1.0-1.i386.deb with bsdtar
  -> Extracting brgenml1lpr-3.1.0-1.i386.deb with bsdtar
==> Starting prepare()...
==> Sources are ready.
 -> brother-dcp7065dn-3.1.0-4 already made -- skipping build
==> Making package: brother-dcp7065dn 3.1.0-4 (Thu 04 May 2023 05:43:25 PM PDT)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> WARNING: Using existing $srcdir/ tree
==> Sources are ready.

loading packages...
warning: brother-dcp7065dn-3.1.0-4 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Package (1)        Old Version  New Version  Net Change

brother-dcp7065dn  3.1.0-4      3.1.0-4        0.00 MiB

Total Installed Size:  0.14 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                        [---------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                      [---------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                           [---------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                     [---------------------------------------] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling brother-dcp7065dn                                  [---------------------------------------] 100%
Maybe you have to restart CUPS to use the changed driver

When upgrading from 2.0.4 to 3.1.0 the driver name changes from
'Brother DCP7065DN for CUPS' to 'Brother BrGenML1 for CUPS'

To make use of the updated driver, edit your printer in the CUPS
webinterface and select the new driver
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/2) Checking which packages need to be rebuilt

However, when I try to add the driver via the KDE UI in EndeavourOS:

the DCP-7065DN driver is not detected:

I have tried both the “Discovered Network Printers”, and also manually specifying a IPP printer at ipp://192.168.10.21/ipp/port1 as the printer address:

Secondly, as an alternative approach, I took @Pudge’s advice on a previous post about using OpenPrinting CUPS’s web UI to add the printer, using the “IPPS Everywhere” driver, and it did install something:

However, when I print anything, it throws the printer into a fit where it endlessly prints empty pages until the paper tray runs out. The only solution to break the cycle is to power off/on the printer. So it did correctly connect to the printer via LAN, but perhaps it’s using the wrong driver?

Finally, I have also tried manually specifying the nearest model # (DCP-7045N) and that one did not work. It does not connect to printer.

During installation, did you choose hplip or other drivers in the Calamares Packages section? For a Brother printer in Calamares Packages I choose cups and cups-pdf only. Nothing else.
Sometimes depending on the Desktop Environment, these extras will try to auto install your printer. If an auto install was attempted, then you use the Cups server to install with ipp then you end up with two printers, one works, one doesn’t

So, when you attempt to print something, in the printer dialog there will be two Brother offerings, and the broken usually appears as default. Click on the down arrow and look for a second offering. Also look at the Type: DCP-L2550DW series - IPP Everywhere as below.

printer

If you choose the broken printer driver, you get exactly what you described above.

Pudge

Almost forgot. To get remote scanning working, you will need to install brscan4 from the AUR

yay -S brscan4

Then at the end of that install, there is a CLI command listed in the text that you have to run to enable the remote scanner driver.

brsaneconfig4 -a name="Brother"  model="DCP-7065DN" ip=192.168.10.21

I use simple-scan to scan over the network.

Pudge

1 Like

Sweet, got the scanner working, thanks! That was easy! Why can’t printing be this easy? :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

I believe I chose CUPS option during the Calamares installer for EndeavourOS.
In any case, I re-installed the CUPS packages manually:

sudo yay -S cups cups-filters cups-pdf system-config-printer

Sometimes depending on the Desktop Environment, these extras will try to auto install your printer.

That did not happen for me, nothing was auto-installed. If that were the case, I wouldn’t be trying to install a printer manually :slight_smile:

I confirmed that there is only 1 printer installed, the IPP one.
Strangely, mine says Type: Local Raw Printer when printing from Kate. It does not say IPP Everywhere

To validate this, I uninstalled the printer from CUPS and re-installed it. It still shows up the same as “Raw”. You can see the same thing in my screenshots above in CUPS web UI and in KDE.

If you highlighted IPP Everywhere and it doesn’t show as

Type: DCP-L2550DW series - IPP Everywhere

Then I am baffled.

Pudge

That’s exactly right:

Added as Raw Printer:

Have you tried lpd?

I couldn’t get lpp to work.

I don’t remember exactly how I achieved success (on multiple differeing Arch and EnOS setups) with a DCP-7060D Brother, which appears to be similar at the very least - but I found that having the driver present when following the printer install allowed it to work after a bit of unlikely circumstances. basically, accept just about any ‘likely’ driver for a Brother in the list given, and in a later dialog the CORRECT driver you loaded from the AUR will show up in the availables, that when selected will work perfectly.

No idea why the ‘normal’ install procedures don’t work properly, nor why the correct driver won’t show up in a search, but appears later - but it DOES eventually work. :grin:

Hope this helps. (BTW, the scanner works fine as described above).

If CUPS is installed and running, use a browser and open CUPS page (<hostname>:631 IIRC). Then do as suggested in the package info.

I was also thinking the same. :thinking:

1 Like

Omg that was it! I just had to select the Brother BrGenML1 for CUPS driver. Another case of “RTFM”! :melting_face:

Why did they have to go about and change the driver name to something non-intuitive in the v3 of the driver! :thinking:

Hm, looks like I need to replace my toner soon!

1 Like

I have a Brother printer although it is a laser and only connected via usb.I saw that message also and was going to mention it but @petsam beat me to it. I find Brother printers are one of the easiest usually to get working. I just replaced my toner Btw!

1 Like

I miss the emoji reactions! :joy:

Bring them back

:angry: :angry: :angry:

1 Like

Me too… :disappointed:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.