Can't enter system after updates

When you boot and look at the selection for endeavour OS do you have an option with lts kernel? Before you arrive at black screen.

I see that you run newest kernel 5.15, but have you also installed lts as backup and tried booting into your system using lts kernel?

Well give us the terminal output for the inxi -Fxxxz for the graphics part. To see if that worked or the card is using any other driver stillā€¦

Which commands have you used, which packages have you uninstalled?

We are looking a bit at a crystal ballā€¦ Not easy to help, very little info provided starting from your first post. Be more specific for successful troubleshoot and patient.

Perhaps it may be a good option from a clean slate and for him to install only install nouveau and also tick the lts kernel and header options at install to test both.

Then first try via nvidia-installer-dkms, and if it doesnā€™t work test Nvidia 495 install according to my post linked above. Then if it doesnā€™t work remove these packages and try with 370xx on AUR. I do not know everything that has been tried or done to that system and looks like some other stuff could have been broken.

What can I do with the installed backup

If you can get to a TTY, you can install the LTS kernel even if it isnā€™t installed.

Once you install it, it will become an option in the boot menu.

yeah Iā€™m in a tty right now copying files to a usb for a potential reinstallation.

Also: this should only have been significant in terms of what Iā€™ve already tried with the graphics cards, but I was running a mining rig with ethereum classic on t-rex that Iā€™d recently set up on the pc.

I think the kernel may already be installed, so what would be the potential benefit if I were to install/reinstall it?

If you are in a TTY, you should just be able to try:

sudo pacman -Syu linux-lts linux-lts-headers

If the ā€œLTSā€ kernel is already installed, there is no benefit in reinstalling. You can just reboot into it.

You can check with:

pacman -Qs linux-lts
1 Like

and how would I ā€˜reboot into itā€™
Iā€™ve tried every option in the boot menu

It would be an option on the grub boot menu when your machine first boots.

Itā€™s worth a try before reinstall.

Aha time is :moneybag:

1 Like

there are three options: the first one, which has provided the described result, the second one(initramfs) which has provided the same result as the first, and the third, which takes me to a menu that has been the same since I had windows installed on the computer that is built in to the computer seemingly beyond GRUB

:point_up_2:

Yeah Iā€™ll try that as soon as the information is done copying to the usb, since Iā€™d just like to have that done. It takes quite a while.

In that case, you probably donā€™t have the LTS kernel installed. Only the mainline kernel.

card is supported by latest Nvidia Driver, the issue could be that DRM Modesetting is not enabled.
that can be done in the most easy and save way by adding the option into grub kernel line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet loglevel=3 nowatchdog nvidia-drm.modeset=1"

and regenerate grub.cfg:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

what should enable optimus support from Nvidia driver and boot on intel GPU if no switcher is enabled/configured

1 Like

I ran both of the commands and got the same result after trying reboot in a few different options on grub menu. Was the first command only supposed to be entered verbatim into a terminal command, should it have been added as a line in a certain file somewhere, or something else?

If it should go in /boot/grub/grub.cfg, where in the file should it go? The file is quite long.

by that means edit the file /etc/default/grub and add nvidia-drm.modeset=1 to the options on the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet loglevel=3 nowatchdog"
so that it reads like so:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet loglevel=3 nowatchdog nvidia-drm.modeset=1"
save the file and run the grub command:
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

2 Likes

same result, a blinking white line in the upper left hand corner with the text above it:

ā€œStarting version 249.6-3-arch
/dev/nvme0n1p2: clean 378181/15597568 files, 13983644/62381347 blocksā€

and when I pres ctrl+alt+f2:
ā€œEndeavourOS Linux 5.10.79-1-lts (tty2)
System login:ā€