Can't Boot!

I was using Virtual Box and running Windoze 10. Suddenly VM froze and gave a message it is out of disk space/ disk full.
I couldn’t terminate Virtual Box by any means.
Trying to reboot my EndeavourOS I got a message that logging out was prevented by Virtual Box!

So I did the ALT-print screen REISUB to reboot.

I remember during booting I saw a message it could not take a boot snapshot, and a few lines down (it freezes after that).

I currently rebooted from my live USB,

System:
  Host: EndeavourOS Kernel: 5.19.4-arch1-1 arch: x86_64 bits: 64
    compiler: gcc v: 12.2.0 Desktop: Xfce v: 4.16.1 tk: Gtk v: 3.24.34
    info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm v: 4.16.1 vt: 1 dm: LightDM v: 1.32.0
    Distro: EndeavourOS base: Arch Linux

and running yay -Syyu to update the live system.

I reached to my downloads (the SSD of my installed system and deleted a couple of ISO files, (just in case the problem was because of a full SSD) and deleted some PDFs, I guess the deleted files should be about 1.5 GB at least.

I have BTRFS Assistant and Snapper on my installed system.

I tried in a previous boot from the live USB and installed BTRFS Assistant but couldn’t find a way to even see a bootable snapshot nor even a restore option in BTRFS Assistant.

What can I do now to get my system booting?

I’m back!
From the live USB I deleted some more extra files and deleted the virtual machines.
So I rebooted and it went fine!
It seems to me that the disk was full.

In Dolphin, to the left I see a red line next to Devices:root.
I understand (I maybe wrong) that BTRFS does not really have root partition.
So this means I have to delete more files or get another SSD?
UPDATE:
I have deleted lots of MP3s and PDFs, I doubt I have data using about 250 GB, what might be causing this? Snapshots? How can I clear more space?

depending on how you setup system… and on what you are doing eith it… can be cache files from AUR builds Games and like in your case VM disks… there are tools to check large files like baobab for GTK and filelight fpr kde/qt

baobab:

1 Like

Thanks @joekamprad
I was just thinking since it happened.
I remember that I was taking snapshots of my home folder. I have been downloading lots of stuff over the past few days and deleting them tough didn’t actually delete them as they were still there in the snapshots!
So, I went to BTRFS Assistant and removed the home snapshots and won’t be taking snapshots anymore.

Once I did that, it is back to normal and the red line is gone!
Now I have only 27% of my SSD used as compared to only 500MB free!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.