Cannot start i3 as normal user after installation

Hello,

I have just installed eos with i3wm; after the installation was complete, I rebooted the system. However, after I typed my credentials, lightdm seems to reload, instead of starting i3 (password is definitely correct, since I don’t get the usual error message).

Then, I successfully started i3 with startx via tty3 as root (sudo startx /usr/bin/i3), but the same command as normal user failed. Additionally, other applications seem to work fine with startx as normal user (e.g. startx /usr/bin/firefox).

Last but not least, I tried to load i3 with an old and minimal config file, but still failed.

Any idea what I should do?

P.S. If you want me to post log files, please point me to a tutorial on how to do so.

Hello and welcome to the purple :enos: side.

If possible check your lightdm.conf file located at /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf. Open it in nano using sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf. An check if your user-session=i3 if not change it to i3 save exit and try again,

1 Like

New to Endeavour and not sure if this was fixed for you or not, but I hit this issue today installing the i3 version.
I fixed this issue by removing xf86-video-intel package.

1 Like

Thanks for giving EndeavourOS a try, and welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Pudge

1 Like

Welcome to the purple :enos: side of Linux.

1 Like