Cannot mount SSD because "Filesystem type zfs_member not configured in kernel"

Hi, this is probably a really simple issue but I need to access some files in an SSD but I cannot mount it because as the title suggests, “Filesystem type zfs_member not configured in kernel.”.

I am not sure what to do and I don’t want to risk breaking anything. Any help appreciated.

What Kernel are you using? uname -r
and
What version of ZFS?

zpool --version

Maybe @mbod or @dalto could help, they have a lot of experience with ZFS.

I believe you would need to rebuild your current kernel image to include appropriate module for
ZFS.

zfs-dkms seems to be the package to install.

But, as mentioned above, please wait for forum members with hand-on experience of ZFS to assist you on this one.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/ZFS

Ahh…where did that ssd come from?

You will have to do a number of things.

• You need to install zfs modules and zfs-utils. The easiest way to do that is probably by installing zfs-dkms
  • You probably don’t need to rebuild your kernel but it would be good to know which kernel you are using.
  • After installing the kernel modules above, you need to sudo modprobe zfs. It is works, it returns nothing.
  • Then you can run sudo zpool import which should get you a list of available zpools. Before going further, I would recommend posting the results of that command here.
1 Like

hey there, while i am not the original poster and neither i am using endeavousOS i am also encountering the same issue as OP and the result of sudo zpool import is

pool: bootpool
id: 1917674268851625955
state: UNAVAIL
status: The pool uses the following feature(s) not supported on this system:
com.klarasystems:vdev_zaps_v2
action: The pool cannot be imported. Access the pool on a system that supports
the required feature(s), or recreate the pool from backup.
config:

bootpool    UNAVAIL  unsupported feature(s)
  sda       ONLINE

i would be really glad if you could help me

edit: some additional info is that this happened when i was trying to setup zfs for freebsd but i selected the wrong disk as member and now i want to access it from debian 12

What version of zfs do you currently have on Debian?

If you upgrade your pool to a later feature set, it will no longer work with older versions of zfs. If you want to maintain compatibility between old and new you should leave the pool at the older feature set level.