Cannot connect to second display

Hi all, I just recently installed enedavourOS on a new laptop and I cannot get my second monitor working. I have tried connecting through many different ports to no avail. The display in my laptop is working fine and I think the nvidia graphics card has the driver and is working fine as well. The secondary monitor can be connected to other laptops running on different OSs. Can anyone help me start investigating this?

Thanks in advance

It would be helpful to post your hardware output. It is obvious you most likely have a hybrid laptop. Some of these automatically output the dedicated gpu to the external monitor via display port and some do not. If you can post the url to the following command maybe it will be helpful as it tells what desktop you are running, what kernel, if the nvidia drivers are installed and most info about the hardware itself.

inxi -Faz | eos-sendlog

2 Likes

Thanks for your quick answer. Here’s the data https://0x0.st/Xafj.txt
This is without the HDMI cable connected, let me know if you want me to send one when everything is connected and things should be working.

Cheers

Have you updated lately as the Nvidia 555.58-2 drivers are out. I see your laptop is rendering on the Intel gpu. You said the laptop is connected via Hdmi to the external monitor. So since it isn’t using the nvidia gpu currently have you checked in settings for display to see if it can output to both laptop and external monitor? The second issue is using the nvidia gpu if needed. You would need to use either optimus-manager or envy control or other to use nvidia gpu.

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/?s=nvidia

Edit: I’m not sure what settings you have in your UEFI Bios for integrated, dedicated or hybrid mode for the gpu.

1 Like

What do you mean by that? Explain, please.

Please, do.

Also, post

ls -l /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

In some other posts using nvidia 555 drivers their solution was.

nvidia_drm.fbdev=1 on GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT or in cmdline file if you are using systemd.

Not sure if this is helpful. :man_shrugging:

Hi, I installed recently and followed some instructions to get the nvidia drivers so I would have thought they would be quite recent.
I ran a game and it seemed to think I was using the nvidia card so I thought everything was working fine but to be honest I am not sure how to check which card is rendering at a given point.
When connecting the HDMI cable I get a pop up to select how to configure the multiple display (clone, extend, etc…) but then nothing happens.
I tried installing the optimus manager yay -S optimus-manager but I get an error

==> Extracting sources...
  -> Creating working copy of optimus-manager git repo...
Cloning into 'optimus-manager'...
done.
fatal: invalid reference: v1.5
==> ERROR: Failure while creating working copy of optimus-manager git repo
    Aborting...
 -> error making: optimus-manager-exit status 1
 -> Failed to install the following packages. Manual intervention is required:
optimus-manager - exit status 1

Let me check the Bios for gpu options

I did restart and check the BIOS, it turns out it was running on hybrid mode. I changed it to dedicated and not the second monitor is working. Not sure if it is worth having the hybrid mode? I would not mind rocking the GPU all the time

To check which gpu is being used and that drivers are installed properly. You can check it on dedicated and or hybrid also.

inxi -Ga

Edit: If Optimus manager isn’t working then you could try envycontrol and when using in hybrid mode see if you can switch to the nvidia gpu.

A half related question, please let me know if I should create a new topic for this. Do I need to restart the laptop every time I change the mode through envycontrol? It is not very appealing if so.

It’s all in the wiki here:

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/hardware/envy-control/2023/03/