Cannot boot up after installation

i tried automatic install and setting everything to english, time zone usa, new york
still the same issue, does not set up a mount point ‘’/‘’

perhaps the installer provides some clues.

19:45:22 [0]: QObject::setParent: Cannot set parent, new parent is in a different thread
19:45:22 [6]: QVariantList FillGlobalStorageJob::createPartitionList() const
    Building partition information map 
    ..  partitions on "/dev/nvme0n1" 
    ..  mapping for "" "unallocated" 
     partlabel :   "" 
     partuuid :   "" 
     parttype :   "" 
     partattrs :   "0" 
     mountPoint: :   "" 
     fs: :   "unknown" 
     fsName :   "unknown" 
     uuid :   "" 
     claimed :   "false" 
    ..  mapping for "" "New Partition" 
     mountPoint: :   "/boot/efi" 
     fs: :   "fat32" 
     fsName :   "fat32" 
     claimed :   "true" 
     mountPoint: :   "/" 
     fs: :   "ext4" 
     fsName :   "ext4" 
19:45:22 [6]: QVariantList FillGlobalStorageJob::createPartitionList() const
    Building partition information map 
    ..  partitions on "/dev/nvme0n1" 
    ..  mapping for "" "unallocated" 
     mountPoint: :   "" 
     fs: :   "unknown" 
     fsName :   "unknown" 
     claimed :   "false" 
     mountPoint: :   "/boot/efi" 
     fs: :   "fat32" 
     fsName :   "fat32" 
     mountPoint: :   "/" 
     fs: :   "ext4" 
     fsName :   "ext4" 
19:45:29 [8]: QML Component (default slideshow) Next slide

is there a way to install a very basic version from the terminal, creating the right mount point, and building from there ?

sincerely thank you all for spending the time on this

I know you have secure boot off and all the settings in UEFI seem to be set correct. You said that RST was disabled. Raid is disabled along with that ? You have set Sata mode to AHCI. We have tried almost everything i can think of that i thought could be an issue. I would like you to check one other thing. In the UEFI Bios screen where it has secure boot option. There is on some the option to clear the secure keys as well as turn it off. Would you be able to check and see if there is a way to clear the keys?

Are you using the latest ISO?

Edit: Do you have the ability to create another ISO? I will see if i can get you an older ISO.

RST has no enable/disable option. secure boot option is disabled, but no further button to clear the secure keys.
fgos, bios is american megatrends version 2.2.4

can make a new boot up usb, no problem

current version of the OS should be the latest version, i downloaded from the site

is installing without the ‘/’ mount point set, and editing the fstab file to set the mount point an option

If that’s a question, then the answer is no. “/” is where the system is installed. So, for a minimum install you need at least a boot and the / mount point.

I start wondering if this could be due to a defective iso?

Could you try dowloading a new one, check the sha sum and burn a new bootable usb?

Another thing would be to try another Arch-based distro which uses Calamares as installer. Manjaro or Garuda both use Calamares and check if they will install fine.

You could try the previous ISO: https://github.com/endeavouros-team/ISO/releases/download/1-EndeavourOS-ISO-releases-archive/endeavouros-2020.09.20-x86_64.iso

The sha512sum for it is: https://github.com/endeavouros-team/ISO/releases/download/1-EndeavourOS-ISO-releases-archive/endeavouros-2020.09.20-x86_64.iso.sha512

thanks all, i will try the previous iso manuel provided and revert.

fwiw i did try manjaro once, but had the same cannot find UUID xxx issue

i

That leads to believe a systematic issue is happening. My guess is the RST/Optane disk.

is there a way to rectify that, or is that this hardware just does not match the OS system ?, so i should give up ?

all i can say is linux mint does install and boot up,the hardware does run a linux/gnu system. so if there is a arch linux distro that uses an installer other than calamares, it might be worth trying ? or shld i just try to install arch linux itself ?

many thanks for your insights

You could try Archfi or similar installer scripts to install a Vanilla Arch system. Or just install Arch the “arch way”!

There is also Reborn OS (also arch-based) which uses another graphic installer.

If Mint works, that probably means Mint may have more suitable drivers (but don’t know what). In general, Mint has different software versions (that is: older) than Arch based distros.

If you are still willing to try Arch based distros, then as already suggested, Arch itself is worth trying. With Arch you’ll install everything manually, and you must be prepared to study every step much more than e.g. with EndeavourOS. But it is very straightforward, and Arch wiki has great support for various details.
By installing Arch successfully you might even discover the reason for these failed installs on your machine…

This is my conclusion also and i was going to ask him to try another ISO & possibly a different distro. As far as mint being installed I don’t think it was on GPT as it was in Dos mode? So i wonder if it won’t install on GPT also.

You could actually have a UEFI install on a disk with MBR/msdos partition table. See:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFI_system_partition#MBR_partitioned_disks

However the opposite is not possible without a bios_grub partition. That is for a GPT disk with Legacy boot. See:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#BIOS_systems

https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/html_node/BIOS-installation.html#BIOS-installation

@nals
I still think there may be a setting in your UEFI Bios for Intel Optane Memory. It needs to be turned off. It is my understanding that these Intel Optane disks use part of the disk for memory function to speed up the boot on Windows. It doesn’t work on Linux to my knowledge. It may be interfering with the install as it separates the disk into two differnt id as far as i understand how they work. But also as @pebcak has pointed out it is possible to use a bios boot partition on GPT. :man_shrugging:

just an update for the helpful people on this forum.

tried another arch based distro as suggested, Reborn OS, as well as zen installer and anarchy. all ended with the same issue, cannot find the root partition, because there is no nount point.

fedora installed fine, but had sound issues that looked tough for me to solve.

installed a debian ‘sid’ based distro, which installed fine, and sound is mostly working, so will stay with that.

really appreciated all the help i got on this forum. sadly arch based distros and my computer hardware do not match for now.

2 Likes

@nals I’m late to this but I had the same issues and it was fixed after disabling Intel VMD in the BIOS.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for giving EndeavourOS a try. I hope you enjoy your time here.

It was great that your first post was offering help. :sunglasses:

Pudge

2 Likes

This is reported here for those with similar hardware. This is a permananet restriction due to Intel VMD design.

https://datacentersupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/products/servers/thinksystem/sn550/7x16/solutions/ht506197-nvme-ssd-pci-device-will-be-invisible-when-intel-vmd-is-enabled-lenovo-thinksystem

CrazyOrca, thank you for your reply. at the moment, the computer is running fine on debian sid, but will remember that, for the future.