Can’t boot in to the system after kernel 5.12.1 and update

Hello everybody,

I am having issue with my system. I updated the system to new kernel 5.12.1 and probably eos also updated itself. Now a new windows appears that wants my id and password. But doesnt accept my password. I also tried to boot in to old one with initramfs but still asks for password and doesnt accept. I was using i3 without any issue. This is the new window;

Try switching to a TTY with ctrl+alt+f3 and see if you can login there or if you get an error.

I can boot with that ! But if I exit from TTY and tries again still can’t get into user

Check the logs from the tty and see if there are any errors.

journalctl -p err -b

Seems like XopenDisplay failed. Says failed to load module “module-x11-publish”. I am adding the journal output. Unfortunatelly I cannot add the whole output since it says I am not allowed to upload as .txt

– Journal begins at Fri 2021-02-19 22:56:09 +03, ends at Mon 2021-05-10 01:05:05 +03. –
May 10 00:47:17 kaan-aspirev3772 pulseaudio[944]: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit: Unit dbus-org.bluez.service not found.
May 10 00:47:17 kaan-aspirev3772 pulseaudio[944]: XOpenDisplay() failed
May 10 00:47:17 kaan-aspirev3772 pulseaudio[944]: Failed to load module “module-x11-publish” (argument: “display=:0 xauthority=/home/kaan/.Xauthority”): initialization failed.
May 10 00:47:17 kaan-aspirev3772 systemd-coredump[1063]: Process 566 (Xorg) of user 0 dumped core.

May 10 00:47:25 kaan-aspirev3772 lightdm[1378]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
May 10 00:47:26 kaan-aspirev3772 pulseaudio[1651]: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit: Unit dbus-org.bluez.service not found.
May 10 00:47:26 kaan-aspirev3772 pulseaudio[1651]: XOpenDisplay() failed
May 10 00:47:26 kaan-aspirev3772 pulseaudio[1651]: Failed to load module “module-x11-publish” (argument: “display=:0 xauthority=/home/kaan/.Xauthority”): initialization failed.
May 10 00:47:26 kaan-aspirev3772 systemd-coredump[1668]: Process 1134 (Xorg) of user 0 dumped core.

yes :hugs:

Do you have any spesific suggestion ?

SodaPDF-converted-journal.pdf (59.0 KB)

I am leaving the whole journal as pdf.

Here’s some info about sending logs:
https://discovery.endeavouros.com/forum-log-tool-options/how-to-include-systemlogs-in-your-post

If eos-sendlog works, you can redirect journal output to

• journalctl "your-options" | eos-sendlog

Otherwise redirect it like this:

• journalctl "your-options" | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io

And remember to show the returned URL here.

1 Like

I’ve seen similar items elsewhere, that were ‘solved’ with a further update to align things. Sorry, didn’t track it all as to what was wrong, but I think I saw something about polkit and 5.12.1 interaction??

I’d try some more updates just to see if slow-syncing mirrors might have had influence here…

NB: those references were also to WM systems, rather than DE systems - if that aims your investigation any better.

What packages were updated, exactly?

You can find this info in the pacman log, just find the update you applied at the end.

cat /var/log/pacman.log

Are there any .pacnew files to integrate?

Are there any AUR packages to update?

May 10 00:47:26 kaan-aspirev3772 pulseaudio[1651]: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit: Unit dbus-org.bluez.service not found.

Is bluetooth service enabled?

systemctl status bluetooth

If not …

sudo systemctl enable bluetooth
1 Like

Sounds like a similar problem to me with Arch/DWM. I log in and it just redirects back to the login screen (LightDM). I have Plasma installed too and I could log in there no problem, so I installed lts kernel hoping that 5.12.2 update would help (sadly it doesn’t). Issue persists with both dwm & i3 and 5.12.x. Will just use lts for now and hope a future kernel update fixes it as I have no clue where to start looking to troubleshoot! :rofl:

Is your /home full?
Please check that you have enough space available.

1 Like

My wife has the same issue with her laptop, using i3wm. Just redirects back to the login screen (LightDM).
Eventually I reformatted her HD and reinstalled Endeavouros i3wm, but the problem is still there, unable to log after entering the password. Keep on going to the login screen.
I, then installed endeavouros xfce (offline), but still the same. Installed Manjaro i3wm without any problem. Then finally installed Arch and this is also working OK!!!

Was this with kernel 5.12.x?

I’ve resorted to rolling back to a pre 5.12.x backup using Timeshift as I realised my VMware wasn’t working with the lts kernel.

My wife 's problem was also with kernel 5.12. Also I have the same endeavouros i3wm installed updated to kernel 5.12.2 on my desktop I I do not have any issue.

1 Like

Is it just lighdm?

I’m thinking it is just lightdm and i think by setting & uncommenting logind-check-graphical=true inside lightdm.conf might be the answer.

1 Like

Give me a few minutes and I’ll give that a try…

Make sure you uncomment the line after changing to true.

Nope, same issue sadly… WMs problematic, DE just fine.

1 Like