Can someone test nvidia-340xx-dkms?

can someone test this package for me ?
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nvidia-340xx-dkms
i’ve been using mesa for a few months now and didn’t have any issue with it, i get compositing and no screentearing at all, but now i would like to get the nvidia drivers installed, can someone test it for me ?
Thanks

I have an older laptop that is running that driver. It seems to work well despite being officially unsupported. A couple of minor advisories, however…

1. Be sure to follow the instructions about adding the X config file to ignore API version.
  2. It usually takes a day or so for the patches to catch up when the kernel major version changes (e.g., 5.16.x to 5.17.x), so hold off on upgrades and try upgrading the package before upgrading the kernel.
  3. I’d keep to a DE like XFCE and avoid Gnome. Gnome’s compositor makes some assumptions about the GPU’s ability to remember its state before suspend which a driver this old does not do. Don’t get me wrong, the nvidia-340xx driver will composite, just don’t ask overly much from it.

Personally, I’d say to go for it; everything should be just fine.

2 Likes

I’m lost here, i have no ideia where to find this X config file.
Can you give me clear instructions on how to do this ? i am a bit of a noob here, and do you think the driver is going to break my system and boot if i try to install it using yay with no additional tweaks ?
Btw i use plasma desktop
I know how to chroot or access the terminal at boot in case something goes wrong and i need to unistall the package, but i would like to avoid this

What is your hardware?

inxi -Faz | eos-sendlog
1 Like

https://clbin.com/UYChd

I just wanted to make sure the drivers are supported and yes good to go. You shouldn’t have a problem.

You can run a test first after installing the package nvidia-installer-dkms.

nvidia-installer-dkms -t 

Edit: Actually there is a new version of the installer.

nvidia-inst

You could test this one instead

nvidia-inst -t

So i should install nvidia-installer-dkms instead of nvidia-340xx-dkms ?

Read above i edited the post as there is a newer version of the installer and you can run a test first.

Edit: I’m just not sure if it will install the 340xx drivers though? @manuel

Edit2: It might be safer to use the AUR package 340xx until i confirm as it doesn’t show the 340xx version.

Edit: The new installer i have tested on newer cards and it does show legacy 390xx and 470xx versions if you enable the repo.So safe bet is to use the AUR pkg 340xx-dkms.

Just one doubt, are you telling me to install the “nvidia-340xx” package or the “nvidia-340xx-dkms” ?
Just to be sure

I would use the dkms version myself.

Edit: I can’t test it for you as my card is a GTX 1060

1 Like

I installed the package with yay, it installed fine but it broke my boot, had to use this command to help me remove the nvidia package:

systemd.unit=multi-user.target

I got stuck at a black screen at boot with a flashing underscore at the top left corner of my screen
Plus this seems to have broken the compositing on my plasma DE and i have no ideia how to enable it back.

Check

systemctl status sddm
[ramon@ramon-m61pmes2p ~]$ systemctl status sddm
○ sddm.service - Simple Desktop Display Manager
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/sddm.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
       Docs: man:sddm(1)
             man:sddm.conf(5)
[ramon@ramon-m61pmes2p ~]$ 

Try re-eanble it.

systemctl enable sddm

restart

It asked me to authenticate, is this normal ?

Yes…

systemctl enable sddm
Failed to enable unit: File /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service already exists and is a symlink to /usr/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service.

What happens if you start it?

systemctl start sddm

Are you on Kde Plasma?

Edit: Looks like you had lightdm as dm? Not sure why?

Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.24.5 tk: Qt v: 5.15.3
    info: cairo-dock, latte-dock wm: kwin_x11 vt: 7 dm: LightDM v: 1.30.0
    Distro: EndeavourOS base: Arch Linux

I was thrown at a black screen with only a mouse cursor on the screen, had to restart
Still no compositing after restarting tho