'Can not crate new partition' when dual booting Windows

Hi again!

I am attempting a fresh install of EOS alongside Windows, with my home directory in a separate drive. I am following this guide in the forums.

When I go make the root partition as indicated in the guide, I get the following message:

The partition table on drive name already has 4 primary partitions, and no more can be added. Please remove one primary partition and add an extended partition, instead.

The strange thing is, I have already done this in the past, following the exact guide, and have never gotten that error.

My partitons look like this:

If there are any logs I can provide I will do my best.

Thanks!

That looks like a legacy install. You don’t need to create an EFI partition.

It that drive has an MBR partition table, then the max number of primary partitions is 4.

2 Likes

From gparted, create an extended partition on the free space. Then you can split it to your liking into different logical volumes.

MBR partition-table only can handle 4 primary partitions (maximum). So, extended partitions with logical volumes in them is a way to evade this mess, thereby reducing the no. of primary partitions to 3 only!

GPT partition-tables can handle many more primary partitions (I forgot, how many).

As per one disk / drive there is only one partition-table, always.

:point_up_2:

1 Like

2 Likes

I assume partitions sda1 … sda3 are primary partitions.

Maybe the partition that currently has /boot/efi is the one you tried to make an extended partition?
If you don’t need that partition (by Windows), you can re-use it and add it as an extended partition.

Before changing anything, see what files you have in that “New partition”.

From the screenshot, it doesn’t look like an existing partition. It is something being created in Calamares.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry I took some time, power went out :sweat_smile:

That’s right.

Does this look good to you? Do I need still need a boot, or is this OK? Sorry, kind of new to partitioning. Maybe this should be moved to the Newbie section.

Also, my previous home directory is in another drive. Do I need to somehow manually point gparted to it? I have a bunch of files (dotfiles, personal stuff, etc) from my previous install so I don’t want to accidentally wipe it.

No, you don’t need a separate /boot

You can point the installer to it if you want, but I wouldn’t. I would do it post-install.

That way you don’t risk the installer overwriting anything.

2 Likes

Alright, that did it! Thanks a ton!

Do you have a guide for this? I’ve never done it myself.

I don’t have a guide but it is fairly simple.

Add an /etc/fstab entry for the home partition then sudo mount /home. If it works, reboot.

If you don’t know how to make an fstab entry, after you install and boot into your new installation, come back and post the output of lsblk -o name,type,fstype,label,size,mountpoint,uuid

Unfortunately I don’t know how to. Here’s the output:

NAME   TYPE FSTYPE LABEL             SIZE MOUNTPOINT                                             UUID
sda    disk                        894,3G                                                        
├─sda1 part ntfs   System Reserved    50M                                                        0E1E94BE1E949FEF
├─sda2 part ntfs                   194,8G /run/media/albert/1018A2F618A2DA4C                     1018A2F618A2DA4C
├─sda3 part ntfs                     509M                                                        FEE443BCE4437645
├─sda4 part                            1K                                                        
├─sda5 part ext4                   691,1G /                                                      b6f34657-cda8-4894-829a-05c0d9643b02
└─sda6 part swap                     7,8G [SWAP]                                                 a1d9d106-eb6d-47f3-a637-8ec539e731ba
sdb    disk                          1,8T                                                        
├─sdb1 part ntfs   Recuperación      499M                                                        006E5B126E5B0038
├─sdb2 part vfat                     100M                                                        585C-D186
├─sdb3 part                           16M                                                        
├─sdb4 part ntfs                     1,1T /run/media/albert/00C205CBC205C63E                     00C205CBC205C63E
└─sdb5 part ext4                   757,4G /run/media/albert/1d04099f-26a5-4444-97f1-a54ffd580f67 1d04099f-26a5-4444-97f1-a54ffd580f67
sr0    rom                          1024M      

Try this:

UUID=1d04099f-26a5-4444-97f1-a54ffd580f67  /home  ext4  rw,relatime  0 2

Be sure to test it with sudo mount /home before rebooting.

1 Like

I don’t think it works:

[albert@chiangmai ~]$ UUID=1d04099f-26a5-4444-97f1-a54ffd580f67  /home  ext4  rw,relatime  0 2
bash: /home: Is a directory
[albert@chiangmai ~]$ sudo mount /home
mount: /home: can't find in /etc/fstab.

Can you not simply copy the needed files over to your new home, without mounting it at all?

Afterwards chown them, like this:

chown -R albert <folder-in-home/> # for a folder, recursively

and chown albert <file-in-home> # for single files

In that case my root and home directories would be sharing the same partition, in the same drive, wouldn’t they? I want to re-use the partition I had in my previous install, which is in my other drive. Please correct me if I’m mistaken.

It is a decision you can only make. If you can’t mount your old home, but feel you need it, then check out the Arch-Wiki on fstab.

The line that starts with UUID isn’t a command.

You are supposed to add that line to the file /etc/fstab

2 Likes

Oh! Wow, I feel dumb.

That did it! Everything is back to how it was before reinstalling.

Thanks for the help everyone!! This is why I stick with EOS, this forum is the best.

2 Likes

So you should mark dalto’s post as a solution to this thread.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.