Call for testing BTRFS Assistant

Do you have more than one btrfs partition?

@dalto
I have a different question regarding creating a config for home. If you didn’t install a /home partition then creating a config for home is doing nothing as home is in / rather than /home? I’m asking because if you created a /home partition during install it would have a subvolume? I’m asking because i don’t really understand everything very well.

There are a lot of possible scenarios to consider.

• If you select a btrfs root Calamares will create a @home subvol for you unless you create separate /home partition. In this case, you can take snapshots of /home
  • If you create a separate /home partition that is btrfs you can snapshot it.
  • If you create a separate /home partition that isn’t btrfs than you cannot snapshot it.
  • If you use a custom layout where your root is btrfs but you deliberately don’t create a separate subvol for /home and don’t have a separate /home partition then /home will be part of / and your root snapshots will contain /home

So using the current ISO I’m assuming this is the case.

I used the layout that the current ISO provides so I’m assuming it creates the @home subvolume? I did create a config for home. So what does the subvolume do that is @home if i create a config for home.

Yes

Yes

The config is just settings which tell snapper to take snapshots of the subvol mounted at /home. In your case, that subvol is named @home

Yes, / and /home are on separate partitions.

So @home is the subvolume. But /home is in / right because it’s not a separate partition. So the @home subvolume contains /home?

There is a drop-down to switch partitions, then you should see the snapshots on the other partition.

No, / and /home are separate subvols in the same partition.

Yes? More accurately, the @home subvol is mounted at /home

I need a blueprint. :rofl:

1 Like

I have installed BTRFS Assistant perhaps 2 weeks ago and I can report that it works flawlessly (for me), even better than my experience with snapper on Opensuse Tumbleweed (a few years ago).
Excellent application. :+1: :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

I should probably point out for everyone reading this topic that btrfs-assistant is now in the AUR. You no longer need to use the git version unless you want to test the latest changes. Although, I haven’t pushed any new changes so they are currently the same.

1 Like

If you have the git version installed can you switch it with a current installation that is setup?

Yes.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tool. It is working perfectly fine as per provided instructions

2 Likes

Have just discovered the tool, wonderful and installed according to instructions, it works perfectly.
thank you very much.
@dalto

5 Likes

Have just discovered the tool, wonderful and installed according to instructions, it works perfectly.
thank you very much.

3 Likes

Have a nice day,
I have a question, more cosmetic, how can I make the Btrfs-assistant look like the user Share has ?
Breez dark.
Thanks
best regards

Hi. I’m wondering why is my device part is blank. I can’t select any device, also no device seems under it. And giving me error like this.

Ekran görüntüsü_2022-01-25_12-53-19
Ekran görüntüsü_2022-01-25_12-53-47

Can you share the output of these commands:

sudo lsblk -o name,type,fstype,size,mountpoint
sudo btrfs subvolume list /

@dalto,

First off, thanks for all the great work you do for the community!

I haven’t had the chance to install and use you your program before now.
Searching in AUR, I get the following two hits: btrfs-assistant and btrfs-assistant-git . Only the former is maintained by you.

I wonder which one I should be installing.

And should I install btrfsmaintenance first?

2 Likes