Calamares doesn't properly detect my video card

The live installer Calamares (the online setup) didn’t properly detect my nvidia video card
(GTX 1660 Ti). The latest installer I could find (of Nov 2023) showed only xf86-amd and xf86-ati under “GPU drivers”. In a VM it displayed many other types of a video driver but on the host machine it displays only AMD drivers. Needless to say that without xf86-nouveau the system won’t start after installation.

If you were MS, I would think you were trying to force me to buy an AMD card, but in this case I think it’s just an unintended bug.

That’s odd, I used to have that exact same card and was always detected properly :thinking:
I will say though, I had a lot of issues with the 1660 Ti. For some reason Linux did not play nice with that GPU.

More then likely (you haven’t included much info to go on). Your system has an integrated GPU as well.

It would be helpful if you could post your hardware output. Post the url from this command.

inxi -Faz | eos-sendlog

@chikenf00t I’m using linux for nearly 9 years, almost 4 of which with 1660 Ti. I’ve never had any problems with the video card or with linux. That problem I described is for EOS only. ArcoLinux’s Calamares, the Debian and Mint installers detect the GPU quite fine and accurately.

@BONK No, it doesn’t. This motherboard (AsRock B85M Pro4) doesn’t have an integrated GPU.

@ricklinux the inxi package isn’t installed and the current installation is literally crying for reinstallation (which is the reason I was looking for something as close as possible to vanilla Arch but with a GUI installer, that’s how I came across Endeavour OS). I can tell you exactly what hardware my computer has, because I built it myself in 2015, part by part: Core i7-4770, 32 GB RAM DDR3, GTX 1660 Ti 6GB, 6.5 TB in storages (all XFS), motherboard AsRock B85M Pro4, PSU Corsair CX750.

Kernel: 6.1.55-1-lts 
Uptime: 23 hours, 53 mins 
Packages: 1373 (pacman) 
Shell: bash 5.1.16 
Resolution: 1920x1080 
DE: Cinnamon 5.2.7 
WM: Mutter (Muffin) 
WM Theme: BGT-v2.2-GTK3_Cinn-5.2.7 (Cinnamox-Rhino) 
Theme: BGT-v2.2-GTK3_Cinn-5.2.7 [GTK2/3] 
Icons: Humanity-Dark [GTK2/3] 
Terminal: gnome-terminal 
CPU: Intel i7-4770 (8) @ 3.400GHz 
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 
Memory: 4.20GiB / 31.27GiB (13%) 
GPU Driver: NVIDIA 525.89.02 
CPU Usage: 7% 
Disk (/): 26G / 239G (11%) 
Font: Open Sans Semi-Bold 11 [GTK2/3]

the installer do not detect gpu anyway at all, we do this with the boot of the ISO where you can choose Nvidia as boot option what will install nvidia propritary drivers if it can boot withnthis option.

If using default boot it will not install the propritary Nvidia driver packages and instead using the nouveau modesetting driver shipped inside the kernel (not the xf86 package)

It will be something else causing the issue to no boot as even if it would really need the xf86 packge it would still boot without X and fail to load DM at the end…

I bet the BUG you are falling in is that you may replace empty space with partition insid einstaller input… this will in some vcases fail to create an ESP to boot.

True your motherboard does not (and really shouldn’t) However your CPU absolutely does.

Intel Core i74770 Processor 8M Cache up to 3.90 GHz Product Specifications

You have a hybrid system which requires you to do some manual setting up. Sorry it is not plug and play like windows.

This is normal. nvidia drivers are handled automatically at a later stage of the process.

could be also a problem when using manually partiion and grub… there are currently huge problems with xfs on grub (the reason to not have it in automatic partition available oin EndeavourOS currently)

The only proper way to see what was failing or where the issue is would be to see the installer log anyway.

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/forum-log-tool-options/how-to-include-systemlogs-in-your-post/2021/03/

I don’t want nvidia drivers. I want xf86-nouveau for the installation. I have the files for the nvidia driver that I want and I’ll install that driver when the system boots from the SSD. But for the first boot I need xf86-nouveau to be installed first.

This motherboard has Intel RST. Have you turned that off and set SATA to AHCI mode?

I never reached the actual installation process. In the window where you can select packages to be installed, when I saw that xf86-nouveau wasn’t in the list, I closed the installer and booted my current system.

@BONK LOL, I never said it had to be PnP like Windows. I stopped using that abomination permanently in 2019.

It will never be in that list. That isn’t detection.

Just proceed with the installation…

2 Likes

as i said… you do not need the xf86-video-nouveau package to boot nvidia gpu … kernel ships the driver already… and you could add any package to be installed from user_pkglist option also… you find a file in live session users home where you can add any package from reposiitories to get installed.

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/installation/customizing-the-endeavouros-install-process/2022/03/

1 Like

I’ll try with that custom packages option. As I already said - I don’t want the latest nvidia driver for a few reasons. I already have all the files of the driver version I want and I’ll install them if the installation works the way I want it to.

issue will be something else…

1 Like

The only way you get the nvidia driver is if you choose the proprietary option when booting the ISO.

If you don’t choose that, you won’t get it.

You are overthinking how it is working.

1 Like

They don’t want nvidea drivers because that card is problematic. There are looking for a workaround since they have a driver option that they apparently want to use. They have an integrated GPU on the CPU as well as a dedicated nvidea card. Does endeavouros still not include xf86-video-intel? That should atleast get them to the desktop to do whatever they want with the nvidia driver optimus etc…

That isn’t a hybrid setup or one which would require optimus.

It is just a system with two separate GPUs.

In this case, there is no switching needed since the GPUs are independent and each have a separate physical output.

xf86-video-intel is only installed when we detect very old hardware that requires it. (Gen3 or older) For modern Intel GPUs, the modesetting drivers is preferred. For reference, the OP has a CPU with Gen7 graphics.

IMO, the only issue here is that the install was stopped by the OP because they saw something they didn’t expect.

2 Likes