Cabled ethernet connection autocreated

I just updated the system with pacman -Syu and after rebooting now my pc is auto connected to a cabled ethernet connection called ’ lo ’ and won’t disconnect and/or eliminate. I have no cabled connection but it seems it is an activity of data exchange. internet doesn’t works and I can’t switch on the usual wi-fi connection from the settings windows.

any solution?

Looks like it has to do with the update of the network manager

see: https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/11110gx/i_suddenly_have_wired_connection_lo_which_readds/

Seems no problem, i also have the lo thing on my laptop (WiFi connected) and server (Ethernet connected) but all is working properly.

So, on that post it seems it is a normal loopback interface setting… I will try at soon as possible to check my wifi settings anyway.

you always have the lo connection even if not connected to any network. Without it, your system won’t work as it is used for syscalls on your local system.

Not sure why you only see it now …

Probably due to the the updated network manager that was released today

In computer networking, localhost is a hostname that refers to the current device used to access it. It is used to access the network services that are running on the host via the loopback network interface. Using the loopback interface bypasses any local network interface hardware.

2023-02-13_12-44

It’s not a bug, it’s a new feature:

Managing the loopback interface

Because of the loopback interface’s somewhat unique characteristics, NetworkManager traditionally treated it specially. That basically meant it ensured it’s up and that’s about it.

In the new version of NetworkManager, loopback interfaces are less special. While it’s still a little special – it will be configured even if there’s no connection profile for it – it’s now possible to actually activate a connection profile on a loopback interface. It behaves a lot like on an actual physical interface with some interesting properties. With the loopback interface always guaranteed to exist in one instance, a connection on a loopback interface can be used to specify configuration that’s always supposed to be applied.

1 Like

Okay why does it still show connected when I’m completely disconnected and ethernet is unplugged. My WiFi is off but maybe it’s still using it since i can’t pull the plug unless i uninstall the drivers?

Screenshot_20230213_094534

Maybe because

thats why, it basically is a computer-internal interface that is always connected.

that seems to be a separate issue

I understand that but i just thought it wouldn’t show it’s connected unless i actually had an internet connection. But, I guess the connection is actually the network card itself since that is what the loop back is.

Edit: I wasn’t aware of this change so it threw me also. It’s just odd to see this since it’s never been there in the connection before shown like this.

nope, it has nothing to do with hardware. Loopback is a software-network interface for system-internal use. It is also present when no network chip is in the system.

1 Like

This i didn’t realize. I thought it needed the hardware in order for there to be a loopback address 127.0.0.1