Budgie desktop 10.6

Just updated to budgie 10.6. From the blog post in here, it seems budgie-control-center should be used from now on. Right now right clicking the dekstop > system settings doesn’t open anything. So I tried it from aur but getting this error

:: budgie-control-center-git and gnome-control-center are in conflict. Remove gnome-control-center? [y/N] y

Package (2)                Old Version  New Version             Net Change

gnome-control-center       41.4-1                               -21.03 MiB
budgie-control-center-git               v1.0.0.r2.g5cb3b3deb-1   21.12 MiB

Total Installed Size:  21.12 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0.09 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                     [------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                   [------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                        [------------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                  [------------------------------------] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
budgie-control-center-git: /usr/local/share/man exists in filesystem (owned by filesystem)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
 -> exit status 1

Will budgie-control-center be added to arch repos soon?

No one can really say with absolute certainty how soon it’ll get added to the Arch repos. Are you familiar with the process on Arch for a package to go from being in the AUR to being adopted into the main Arch repos (usually community repo)?

Here’s a link that explains it in more detail, so I’ll just summarize here:

Essentially an AUR package has to have a certain level of popularity (at least 10 votes), and be adopted by an Arch Trusted User (TU) to maintain it. If a package in the AUR doesn’t meet those requirements, then it’s inclusion to the main repos won’t happen any time soon. In the meantime, some of the devs are using EndeavourOS as their main system. I don’t know if they are very active on this forum, but I would make an bug report on the budgie-control-center GitHub and see if they can offer any assistance. The only thing I can think of at the moment is doing a clean build if you haven’t already, but I’m on Gnome, so my help is just limited to that, sorry mate!

Vote for thebudgie-control-center-git here : ( AUR )

File a bug report on their GitHub here:

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed information. I have voted for the package on AUR and created an issue on their Github.

2 Likes

I can reproduce this error. See this post from @jonathon

https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/package-installation-says-filename-exists-in-filesystem-failed-to-commit-transaction-conflicting-files/4382

edit - see post below

In short you should first check that which package owns that file:

pacman -Qo /usr/local/share/man

It will return filesystem here.

You can also go in that directory to verify if somethings there or not. In my case /usr/local/share/man was empty.

Now you can use the --overwrite option which will allow it to overwrite files. As yay is just a pacman wrapper this option will work with it too.

yay -S budgie-control-center-git --needed --overwrite /usr/local/share/man

Also in my opinion you shouldn’t have created a github issue as this problem is probably caused by the AUR package.

I am not sure you should use overwrite in this situation. It will work, but now the filesystem package will probably fail to update. --overwrite isn’t something you should use blindly.

3 Likes

Yes you are right. Reinstalling filesystem package throws these errors. Edited my original post.

resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) filesystem-2021.12.07-1

Total Installed Size:  0.02 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                                                 [#############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                                               [#############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                                                    [#############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                                              [#############################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                                                            [#############################################################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling filesystem                                                                                                  [#############################################################################] 100%
warning: directory permissions differ on /root/
filesystem: 700  package: 750
error: extract: not overwriting dir with file /usr/local/share/man
error: problem occurred while upgrading filesystem
error: could not commit transaction
error: failed to commit transaction (transaction aborted)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I cannot find anything wrong in the PKGBUILD though. Maybe the man entry should be put in the /usr/share/man directory like some packages do.

https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=budgie-control-center-git

This would normally indicate an issue with the PKGBUILD - it is trying to install a file called “man” rather than files into that directory.

However, the PKGBUILD’s package() function looks very standard, so it will be an issue with the upstream source code. Very likely a recently-introduced bug?

This means there’s nothing to be done from the side of EnOS or the AUR PKGBUILD maintainer - this needs to be reported and fixed upstream.

3 Likes

Screenshot_20220314_130054

I tried adding the gnome-calendar and it wants to replace budgie-control-center-git

Budgie-desktop was updated, but budgie-extras is still marked as out of date. I wonder if budgie-control-center will be included in that package…

The problem with this specific package is solved. The issue was with pkgbuild. I just installed it, replaced the gnome-control-center and solved some issues i had with that too.

4 Likes

Always great to see when reporting bugs on GitHub ends up with a solution :slight_smile:

1 Like

With this new control center package how does one install the gnome calendar then?

See my comment from an earlier post :sweat_smile:

But in regards to your question:

Gnome Calendar is probably the only Gnome app I NEVER recommend. It’s been lackluster feature-wise and buggy and crashing/freezing for years. Use Evolution for calendar or even Thunderbird or various others are far better options, with more advanced features and stability. I last tested Gnome Calendar when Gnome 41 was released, and I got it to crash within minutes of using it, so I don’t waste my time with it. I wish that wasn’t the case, but I can’t recommend it at all.

I thought it was integrated in Gnome with the date time? So i thought it would be same on budgie.

Edit: If your gonna do Gnome you gotta stick with gnome apps! :laughing:

You would make a great comedian no doubt!

Budgie is it’s own thing for the most part. It uses some components of Gnome, but has always had a goal to be decoupled and fully independent from Gnome. That goal is still on-going as far as I know, but development and progress is slow, but steady.

Edit:

No, Budgie doesn’t work like that, there’s no Calendar applet that reads Gnome Calendar, though it is a feature the devs want to add in future versions of Budgie.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.