Btrfs setup with Timeshift & snapshots not right?

They are in root so do i put / in front of it or needs a space? It isn’t working.

They are not in the root of the filesystem, they in the root of the device. If you click near the area in dolphin at the top where it says root it should show you where it is mounted. Probably /run/timeshift/backup

Okay I see. I didn’t realize that. So would it be like

sudo btrfs subvolume delete /run/timeshift/backup/@-0gyqxf

Yes, something like that. Just be careful not to delete the other ones. :wink:

Okay… that worked but I’m still not understanding why it created them?

I don’t know why they were created. I don’t use timeshift personally. I prefer to have more control over my snapshots.

Well i don’t know much about this stuff so I’m just trying. How do you use it without timeshift then?

Edit: So i guess then when it makes a snapshot it is actually a snapshot of a subvolume?

What does this mean?

Edit: I didn’t set this? It was automatic.

The interesting thing about btrfs is that snapshots are also subvolumes themselves. That is why when you list subvolumes you see all your snapshots.

In /etc/fstab, all those lines end with 0 2. The 2 part of that tells it to fsck the filesystem in the second pass. However, btrfs filesystems don’t need to be fsck’d so they should be 0 0. It won’t hurt anything because fsck.btrfs basically does nothing. It is calamares that sets those wrong.

Yes i used the secret sauce ISO. :wink: So efi is set 0, 2 and / is 0, 1 the rest are 0, 2
Should they alll be 0, 0?

All the btrfs lines should be 0 0, yes.

If it is a throw-away install I wouldn’t worry about it but if it is something you are planning to keep around might as well change it.

I’ll change it just because it helps to remember stuff. Thanks a lot i couldn’t have done it without your help! I learned a little although this was a lot really. Every little bit is a step forward. :wink: I would have just started over and given up.

2 Likes

this is how i’ve set mine when followed @2000 howto

fstab
# <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
UUID=D476-FF9D                            /boot/efi      vfat    umask=0077 0 2
UUID=f3496a94-266c-4596-a437-da3530ad8f7e /boot          ext4    defaults,noatime 0 2
/dev/mapper/luks-f6540be3-39bf-401d-8c00-5603b407b4cd /              btrfs   subvol=/@,defaults,noatime,space_cache,autodefrag,compress-force=zstd 0 0
/dev/mapper/luks-f6540be3-39bf-401d-8c00-5603b407b4cd /home          btrfs   subvol=/@home,defaults,noatime,space_cache,autodefrag,compress-force=zstd 0 0
/dev/mapper/luks-f6540be3-39bf-401d-8c00-5603b407b4cd /var/cache     btrfs   subvol=/@cache,defaults,noatime,space_cache,autodefrag,cpmpress-force=zstd 0 0
/dev/mapper/luks-f6540be3-39bf-401d-8c00-5603b407b4cd /var/log       btrfs   subvol=/@log,defaults,noatime,space_cache,autodefrag,compress-force=zstd 0 0
/dev/mapper/luks-f6540be3-39bf-401d-8c00-5603b407b4cd /var/cache/pacman/pkg          btrfs   subvol=/@var-cache-pacman-pkg,defaults,noatime,space_cache,autodefrag,compress-force=zstd 0 0
/dev/mapper/luks-f6540be3-39bf-401d-8c00-5603b407b4cd /swap btrfs subvol=@swap,defaults,compress=no 0 0
/swap/swapfile none swap defaults 0 0

lsblk
NAME                                      MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINTS
luks-f6540be3-39bf-401d-8c00-5603b407b4cd 254:0    0 357,9G  0 crypt /run/timeshift/backup
                                                                     /var/cache/pacman/pkg
                                                                     /var/log
                                                                     /var/cache
                                                                     /swap
                                                                     /home
                                                                     /
nvme0n1                                   259:0    0 465,8G  0 disk  
nvme0n1p1                                 259:1    0   100M  0 part  /boot/efi
nvme0n1p2                                 259:2    0    16M  0 part  
nvme0n1p3                                 259:3    0 106,4G  0 part  
nvme0n1p4                                 259:4    0   824M  0 part  
nvme0n1p5                                 259:5    0   512M  0 part  /boot
nvme0n1p6                                 259:6    0 357,9G  0 part  

Yes, i also have a set up from the wiki on another system. But this one i tried to setup myself without knowing how it’s supposed to be exactly and somehow my time shift created snapshots of / twice? So i was confused as i don’t really understand the whole set up but I’m starting to. :grinning:

Edit: I think it probably happened because as @dalto said it doesn’t open dolphin on kde because time shift is running in root. So i probably was clicking on the buttons thinking it wasn’t working. :man_shrugging:

I know exactly what you mean, as i don’t understand anything ^^
Especially regarding timeshift… i’ve been thru issues that i didn’t succeed to comprehend…

and this is exactly what I need to do…

1 Like

Apparently, as per the wiki, you wouldn’t need to specify the tmpfs entry for /tmp in your fstab

Arch uses a tmpfs /run directory, with /var/run and /var/lock simply existing as symlinks for compatibility. It is also used for /tmp by the default systemd setup and does not require an entry in fstab unless a specific configuration is needed.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.