Btrfs Assistant 1.0 is coming, testers needed

I got it ( not me, ChatGPT :smiley: ) , installed this : sudo pacman -S qt5-wayland
and now gui is loaded

Are you still on KDE? I just tried with Wayland and btrfs-assistant does launch from the terminal for me.

No, wayland Hyprland

Oh okayā€¦Iā€™m not familiar with that. :wink:

Me neither , but at least it is working. Without your app I am lost :smiley:

What is Wayland Hyperland?

Edit: Sorry maybe Iā€™m getting off topic.

1 Like

new WM on wayland

1 Like

In hyperland you need to add the env to .config/hypr/hyprland.conf
env = QT_QPA_PLATFORM,wayland

This was discussed in the Sway forum on EOS and got it working for me. Now I can use wofi to launch.

[Btrfs-assistant fails to start - #19 by BluishHumility](https://btrfs in sway)

1 Like

I am on btrfs, separate (/) and (home), without swap partition or swap file. Is it better to make swap file or use zram ?

Also is it ok to make snapper snapshot for (home) also ?

I donā€™t think there is an absolute right answer here. It depends if you want a swapfile or zram. Both are possible.

Yes, of course.

1 Like

Yeah, I know that is possible, but always is that ā€œthis one is betterā€ :slight_smile:

That is why I asked for suggestion . And also guide how to do both :slight_smile:

It is entirely use case specific. Why do you want/need swap in the first place? What are you trying to achieve? That applications do you use? What is your system hardware configuration, drives and memory?

1 Like

My laptop : link

I want it just in case, when I use lot of tabs opened, other apps like Visual Studio, Steam etc. Want everything smooth :slight_smile:

• If you care about hibernation(suspend to disk), use a swapfile
  • If your applications are not sensitive to memory performance, I would use zram
  • If your applications are sensitive to memory performance then you need to choose between typical performance and performance in memory intensive situations. zram will perform much better if you are actively swapping, a traditional swapfile will perform better when the usage is low and terrible when heavy swapping occurs.

In my case, I almost always choose zram for desktop applications. Especially in situations where I have 8GB or less RAM.

Basically, zram expands the amount of effective RAM you have available at the cost of CPU overhead and slower memory performance once it hits the compressed part of RAM.

2 Likes

The Enable Btrfs Quotas-button is imho placed rather unfortunate. That button actually changes behavior and shouldnā€™t be innocently lurking in the volume navigation. Clicking in the navigation area should be save for the user with no risk of changing anything on disk.

With 32 GB of memory running at 3200 Mhz and newer faster hardware i have no issues on btrfs and i donā€™t think swap is even necessary for me. I donā€™t use hibernation or suspend but i still set a swap file. :man_shrugging:

Edit: I have found the btrfs setup with grub to be extremely reliable and performs above expectations.

1 Like

I agree, never had issues with btrfs.
You could use zram with that amount of memory.

zram is for creating swap devices in memory . There for much faster than disk and with compression on store more data if necessary.

I configured it with the zram-generator

sudo pacman -S --noconfirm zram-generator;sudo vim /etc/systemd/zram-generator.conf

[zram0]
zram-size = 512
compression-algorithm = zstd

But zram affects CPU performance in hihg load as I know ? I always thought that swap file/partition is better

Sure it requires a little cpu but not that much.
Search for zram in the archwiki and decide for yourself if you use it or not.

1 Like

I have some doubt. If I have (/) as btrfs, can I use (home) as ext4 or xfs or something else ? In that case I can always reuse (home) if my main system (/) fails or something else. Or (home) as btrfs is also fine ?