Btrfs Assistant 1.0 is coming, testers needed

Yes, that is better.
It also confused me initially at first installation of Btrfs-Assistant, I think.

Just a thought @dalto. Would it be possible to add functionality to btrfs-assistant to copy @home to another filesystem like snap-sync. Snap-sync still works but i donā€™t know if it is maintained.

It is something I would like to see added. There is an open issue for it already.

I would prefer to integrate something rather than build it myself but snap-sync is no longer maintained and snapsync hasnā€™t seen a release since 2018.

1 Like

I have a branch where I was working on that. Since I do that all the time manually. Just couldnā€™t get the runCmd to work with the operation for some reason. Havenā€™t looked at it in a while though.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t find anything that you seemed to be referencing that actually worked. Help, please. Iā€™m figuring this thing out for the first time.

[Unit]
Description=Monitors for new snapshots

[Path]
PathModified=/.snapshots

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

That is what I found, but when I change that file from the below to that, when I tried selecting Endeavour Snapshots at the Grub menu during boot, it didnā€™t even enter the Snapshot menu, just stayed at main boot page.

[Unit]
DefaultDependencies=no
Requires=\x2esnapshots.mount
After=\x2esnapshots.mount
BindsTo=\x2esnapshots.mount

[Path]
PathModified=/.snapshots

[Install]
WantedBy=\x2esnapshots.mount

After you did that, did you call sudo systemctl daemon-reload and then sudo systemctl reenable --now grub-btrfs.path.

Then you need to take a snapshot.

1 Like

No, Iā€™m a noob. I didnā€™t know I need to do that. Thanks. Worked.

1 Like

Looking at earlier post, I see that installing snap-pac-grub avoids using the grub-btrfs.path systemd unit

Is one way better than the other, whether now or over time with other updates/changes/etc being made?

The path unit will fire when a snapshot is taken for any reason. snap-pac-grub is a pacman hook that only runs during pacman operations.

IMO, neither is better/worse, just different.

1 Like

I seeā€¦ it seems I installed the ā€œnormalā€ version, not this one.
I have 4 tabs only, canā€™t see the ā€œBTRFS maintenanceā€.
Would you like me to install the Git version?

OKā€¦ I will do itā€¦ just for you @dalto but tomorrow, (unless you see it is risky for a noob 9 days old like me)

That means you havenā€™t installed btrfsmaintenance

You donā€™t need the git version.

From OpenSUSE website I did

sudo snapper -c home create-config /home

Then according to @dalto I did:

yay btrfsmaintenance

WOWā€¦ now I have a /home profile to snapshot /home, and I have the ā€œBTRFS maintenanceā€ tab.

I will keep playing with it.
I have ā€œBTRFS maintenanceā€ as photo belowā€¦ nothing selectedā€¦
Is it OK (for now)? I wonder where are my /home snapshots!
Screenshot_20220810_081843

There are things selected. You are running a btrfs balance weekly and a scrub monthly.

Lots of good info in the thread I created, but this had to do with this app and things related, so I figured Iā€™d ask here.

Does it matter the order I install the following apps so that the auto configuration that snapper-support and whatever else does works correctly?

btrfs-assistant
btrfsmaintenance
snapper-support
grub-btrfs
snapper
snap-pac

I was going to install these apps, then make a snapshot so I could see the grub file get updated, then do:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
sudo systemctl edit --full grub-btrfs.path

Replace file contents with below

[Unit]

[Path]

PathModified=/.snapshots

[Install]

WantedBy=multi-user.target

sudo systemctl enable grub-btrfs.path
systemctl start grub-btrfs.path

I figured I would post all of this, maybe make easier for someone else, even though I know this all works, just wasnā€™t sure all of what snapper-support configured for me, especially since I ran it after configuring quite a bit myself in my test VM.

If you are going to do all that, donā€™t install snapper-support.

There is the easy/automated path which is install btrfs-assistant, btrfsmaintenance and snapper-support.

Or the manual path which is do all the things you mentioned.

snapper-support installs and configures grub-btrfs, snapper and snap-pac. It should also create and enable the unit file for you.

To answer your question it doesnā€™t matter the order they are installed.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been following this thread for a long time now, and it seems more and more interesting. Me being a lazy sod, would benefit greatly from this assistant.

After my impending move to a new appartment/flat, Iā€™m going to try it my Arch laptop, witch I bork much more often than I do EndeavourOS (never happened). Tinkering might be the culpritā€¦ not me. :laughing:

3 Likes