Browser woes - setting up Chromium as backup

It seems Mozilla is continuing it’s practice of bleeding money, firing staff and whitelisting trackers for Google.

Hence… I am once again installing a backup browser, going “vanilla” Chromium this time. None of the Chromium derivatives are to my liking; Brave not only still have a troublesome founder (if you believe in certain things his politics is a no-go) but the Crypto-currency part of Brave has become much more of a focus (which makes sense; a large segment of users that agree with his politics and defend them also tend to be Crypto-currency fanatics). The Speed and Privacy optimizations are still there, but the crypto-currency is so much more in your face now.
…And Vivaldi is… bloated. IMHO, of course, but I have said it before: it has 10 000 features, and I do not find a SINGLE ONE of them useful. Well one (1) these days: the built in tracker protection.

So, Chromium is now up and running, synced, and all data from Firefox transferred.
(Btw, all other things aside, running the two browsers side by side Blink is just a better engine, period. Firefox has the edge in almost everything over Chromium but it’s engine is still inferior).

2 Likes

I use Firefox mainly but have Chromium as a back up and i also like the auto language converter.

1 Like

With all due respect, shouldn’t this be posted in #Lounge, as the OP seems to have a character of chatting about some browsers and venting opinions?

In the description of the Application subsection, it reads:

Over here you can post questions and suggestions regarding apps and and packages not provided in the Arch- and EndeavourOS repo. ](Welcome on the Software category)

1 Like

You’re absolutely right.

1 Like

Like @ricklinux, me too, I use Firefox (+ some addons) as my daily browsers and I have Chromium installed and configured as back-up.

However I do install other browsers including the ones mentioned in the OP in order to try them out and see what news they bring to the table.

The criteria in my choice of browser have been respect for privacy, usability and user experience. The latter two being merely subjective. I hope that there is still some objectivity regarding the former.

I’ve had that in the back of my mind as well. However, this new Manifest 3 for the extensions worries me (especially regarding ad blockers). If ublock origin will no longer be usable in Chromium, all this is of no use to me :frowning:

2 Likes

…If adblockers indeed will be… well, blocked, it will spark another browser war, I am sure. At least among home users.

That’s my worry as well, and the main reason I continue to use Firefox as my primary browser. I do have Vivaldi installed as my backup, but if the changes block uMatrix from working, then no Chromium-based browser would I be willing to lay a finger on.

1 Like

Adblockers are not supposed to be blocked directly by Manifest 3, but their function is curtailed to such an extent that they become as good as ineffective (far too low possible filters). The whole thing should already start with the next Chrome version and Chromium will be no exception.

uMatrix is not being developed any longer, iirc. It is still available for installation but I wonder if it will cease to function properly at some point regardless the implementation of Manifest 3.

It’s possible, but until then, I’ll continue to use it. It’s the only plugin I’ve found that has granular enough control to be worth using.

1 Like

Apparently, Eyeo’s unloved Adblock Plus has a solong ready, but the whole club has been suspect to me for years.

ungoogled-chromium anyone?

2 Likes

I was just about to reply with this.

I use ungoogled-chromium on both this and my work Windows computer.

Don’t build it from the AUR - it takes serously HOURS to build, and then when it updates, again, same thing.

I use the chaotic repos, and the chaotic-key ring and mirrorlist packages from AUR, and then build from there. I always have it as a backup on computers. All the fun of Chromium, none of the Google. Check it out here. If you need helping getting it running, let me know!

3 Likes

Since a short while back ungoogled-chromium can be installed as flatpak as well:

https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.github.Eloston.UngoogledChromium

2 Likes

I am assuming you saw this?

2 Likes

Most assuredly did not. I don’t go on their forum. So. I guess, I have no idea then. But I’m not building it from AUR, otherwise I’ll never see get to use it. I’ll just be running updates forever.

2 Likes

Nothing to do with their forum. They have a nicely written response on the situation from pedro the maintainer since they have a relationship.

3 Likes

is it faster to download ungoogled-chromium from the Chaotic-AUR? So i would just add it to the bottom of my /etc/pacman.conf: ? Thanks!

1 Like