Brother DCP-J105 drivers

I’ve just read all you have written, guys. I’ll check that out and post here afterwards.

EDIT: Finally I could print the test page!!! This is what I did:
Using the administration tab of localhost:631, I went to Add Printer, then under Other Network Printers I chose LPD/LPR Host or Printer and in the message box Connection I put http://192.168.100.9 which is the Network Printer IP. After that, hearing the printing sound once I clicked on “Print Test Page”, was remarkable.

Now, the final step is try to find how to scan a document using the same device.

So you see it is a little bit of learning how it works. :wink:

install brscan4 from the AUR
yay -S brscan4

Ater the install, type in the following command, I think you have to be root or sudo? Just change the model number and ip address as applicable.

brsaneconfig4 -a name=DCP-L2550DW model=DCP-L2550DW ip=192.168.0.170

Now install an app something like “simple-scan”. simple-scan does everything I need it to. YMMV

So glad to see you get this fixed and wasn’t driven away from EndeavourOS.

Last step.
Get yourself a notebook ( I call them brain books) and make an entry of how you did this. Then next time will be a breeze.

Pudge

When I type that command in the console, this is what I get:

[alejandro@alex-linux ~]$ yay -S brscan4
:: Checking for conflicts...
:: Checking for inner conflicts...
[Repo:1]  libusb-compat-0.1.7-1
[Aur:1]  brscan4-0.4.10_1-5

1 brscan4                          (Build Files Exist)
==> Packages to cleanBuild?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==> 

As far as I understand, is telling me that the package is already installed or something?

The package build process is asking you which package to clean build. Just press enter for the default. There may be more prompts. Just read the questions. This will help you understand how it works. You can most likely just press enter each time. It will build the package and install it. It may ask for your password.

I think it is saying there is a conflict between libusb-compat-0.1.7-7 and brscan4-0.4.10_1-5 which I am guessing that brscan4-0.4.10_1-5 needs a higher version of libus-compat which is at 0.1.7-1

So the next line is asking if you want to cleanbuild any packages.
If you choose option [A] it will cleanbuild All packages which should ensure that you will end up with the proper version of libusb-compat.

Pudge

OK. I’m gonna choose [A] and see what happens.

EDIT: This was the reply:

==> a
:: Deleting (1/1): /home/alejandro/.cache/yay/brscan4
:: (1/1) Downloaded PKGBUILD: brscan4
  1 brscan4                          (Build Files Exist)
==> Diffs to show?
==> 

It’s still asking me do more! What Diffs to show? means?

1 Like

It’s so you can compare the differences between the old PKGBUILD and the new one.

You probably aren’t familiar with inspecting PKGBUILDS, and that’s a subject for another day.

The default is None. Just hit Enter.

1 Like
:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                     [----------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                   [----------------------] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                        [----------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                  [----------------------] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) installing brscan4                           [----------------------] 100%
Find additional documentation about scanner driver install at:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/instruction_scn1.html
For a network installation run the following as root:
brsaneconfig4 -a name="Brother" model="YOURMODELHERE" ip=YOUR.SCANNER.IP.HERE
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Updating udev hardware database...
(2/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

Now it asking me to type what @Pudge mentioned before… that is what I’m gonna do.

EDIT: After installing simple-scan, now I’m able to scan a document using Document Scanner!!! It all worked like a charm!!! :smiley: Now the next step is to create a How to mini guide for helping others too; I’ll post it when it’s ready.
Thanks to everyone who helped me out through the process!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.