Bringing immutablity to EOS

The ashos brings immutablity to EOS.. Still my head is spinning on what humans are capable of.

1 Like

Cool? I guess?

1 Like

there is many questions to bring full immutabilty :
i just give example from apple os & apfs
on any hardware apple , version 1 os ready only is installed.( boot on version 1 read only )
on action to update a snapshot with version 2 is done , then reboot on version 2 ready only

1. here come trouble , it required snapshot , does all filesystems can do a snapshot ? example : ext4

2. this is done on os system , same is apply on install app & users ( so more snapshots )
    [ ie app 1 installed / snapshot app2 added + update app 1, etc … ]

3. so pacman ( and command Ashos ) need to do that , and offers full functionalities

for cons :

• on boot apple os boot version 1 and last snapshot os , so more time to boot
  • for user we do not have a “timeshift” ,also for system update [ snapshot system and snapshot other partitions are differents]
  • in case something go wrong [disk / data / repair / recover ] are missing
  • also doing backup will be required more time
  • and trouble on snapshot , it will use full disk , so what next can be done ?
  • more if fs is corrupted ? which snapshots is good or bad ?
1 Like

No thanks! I’m not interested in immutability on any distro especially not on EndeavourOS. :pouting_cat:

3 Likes

sure rick.
actually it is other way around. EOS is brought to immutability. very few distros are supported by this method. proud to find EOS in that list. hence thought of sharing.
hope it is OK.

Sure it’s okay…I’m just not a fan. But things may change. I’m open. :wink:

1 Like

The benefit of running any Arch based system (or all rolling release systems) is constant updates to the latest packages. Why would anyone want or need immutability in this case. Only people who don’t really appreciate or understand rolling release systems may think immutability is desirable.

Immutability makes even less sense on static release systems where one needs security updates applied to individual packages on a continual basis.

Immutability makes sense for devices, not desktop operating systems.

3 Likes

it feels like you have very aerodynamic ferrari but you put a block of a caravan behind :slight_smile:

its interesting if you mostly run snaps/flatpak… but do you need repo packages, you need to snapshot your system and do a full update first…but overtime it can stil break your system because after 3 a 4 months you dont know what is upstream uptoo , clearly is better to immute on simple archlinux iso level, in TTY rest like Desktop, is Flatpak or snaps…system update become lower then a full system update, for your toaster would it be ok but it need a big drive. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And you can completely kiss the AUR goodbye, which is arguably the number one reason to use an Arch based distro. . .

4 Likes

Sorry but what BS! Shiny Shiny New New must Use Use. :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

I tried one of the custom OS images based on Fedora from the Universal Blue project (with the entertaining url of ublue.it) last week.

I was using a Virtual Machine (which added to the slowness) and after some considerable time I could get to the same applications I would install when using Fedora Cinnamon (albeit with some theme issues). RPMFusion is already included in the image, and there’s a welcome wizard to install some common flatpaks.

It’s not for me, but I could see it being useful in Education and other institutional environments. Using Universal Blue you can create your own custom image so you have the DE and all/most of the apps you want straight after installation.

As @fbodymechanic points out, “you can completely kiss the AUR goodbye” so it’s probably not for most people lurking here either.

Red Hat and SUSE are moving forwards with their immutable offerings, and it would not surprise me if immutable images were the main offering for commercial Linux desktops in a few years time.

2 Likes

:nauseated_face:

Edit: As an end user I really have no interest in Immutable Linux.

2 Likes

Do you use it commercially?

:point_up:

2 Likes

Putting my work hat on … immutability (what a word) would certainly be of interest if it were more mature. The palaver in reconstructing remote workers’ machines when they break them is enormous - quite often infinite because they don’t back things up.

With my home hat on … no. If I wreck the OS I reinstall it, copy my backup (made with restic to pen drives and a USB SSD) to a folder then drag its folders into the home folder as required. There immutability is a solution in search of a problem.

All that said I was amused at Fedora planning to produce an immutable version of Fedora Budgie. A simplified desktop environment with a complex deployment!

2 Likes

Exactly…if it were were more mature.

You’re an end user. The question I asked was do you use it commercially?

That’s a very different question then are you an end user. From a commercial stand point, an immutable desktop makes sense.

Do you commercially (at work for your career) use Linux?

Why immutable in a rolling release distro like EOS? The problem of immutable not just only make the root filesystem read-only, they should have provide containers to isolate libraries/resources of each application out of the box and provide abilities to restore the system tho.

No i don’t and maybe it makes sense to you but it doesn’t to me. Just my personal opinion. Doesn’t matter.

It doesn’t make sense to you that a company would want an os, that their employee literally can’t break so they can focus on work, minimize IT costs and down time? Oy. If you can’t understand that, I’m floored.