Brave Hardware Acceleration

Hello friends!

Yesterday I’ve experienced a little bit of an issue with Brave. While playing a youtube video, the browser would sometimes hang for a few seconds and then go back to normal.

I’ve searched around and it seems like native wayland support isn’t on by default (I’m using GNOME). I followed the instructions at Arch Wiki - Chromium #Native_Wayland_Support, and changed #ozone-platform-hint to auto in brave://flags.

I then checked if it was using wayland in brave://gpu (and it was; --ozone-platform=wayland), but I also noticed the following at the top of the page:

Graphics Feature Status

* Canvas: Hardware accelerated
* Canvas out-of-process rasterization: Disabled
* Direct Rendering Display Compositor: Disabled
* Compositing: Hardware accelerated
* Multiple Raster Threads: Enabled
* OpenGL: Enabled
* Rasterization: Hardware accelerated
* Raw Draw: Disabled
* Video Decode: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
* Video Encode: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
* Vulkan: Disabled
* WebGL: Hardware accelerated
* WebGL2: Hardware accelerated
* WebGPU: Disabled

There is this section over at Arch Wiki - Chromium #Hardware_video_acceleration, that says something about enabling VA-API support. I’d like to follow these steps as well, but I’m quite new to linux and I don’t want to break something by making a stupid mistake.

If anyone can help me understand the process a little better I’d be thankful. Sorry if it’s a dumb request. I usually try to figure stuff on my own, but when I don’t fully understand something I try asking someone more knowledgeable than me.

Also, sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. Stay safe <3

Edit: I forgot to mention, but I don’t think I’ve seen it hang since I turned on native wayland support. Could just be that I haven’t used it enough since tho.